Out of Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I've burned a lot more pine the past two years but ran out last night. I use it opposite Locust, at the bottom of reloads of junk wood or anytime I have a nice coal bed but not getting enough heat out of it.

Locust is my go to when it is cold and blowing for extended periods but seems to be a high coaler. So, when its cold and blowing and there is no time to let the coal bed do its thing, what do you guys mix with your high coaling premium go to stuff?

I have 120 acres of Poplar,Birch,and Maple(soft). Logger took 400 cords of Poplar last yr and left the tops and slash, so I have lots. I always through in Poplar to help burn anything else. It burns hot and fast when split. It is a little slower if left in rounds.
Doug

I opened this thread expecting to see you doing a "Happy Dance". :lol:

Anything that is on the lesser end of the BTU spectrum should work for your application. Silver Maple, Cottonwood, Black Walnut, Willow, etc. come to mind.

Jags said:
I opened this thread expecting to see you doing a "Happy Dance". :lol:

That wouldn't be pretty. But maybe I should as it looks like my new quick hot burner wood might be silver maple instead of eastern pine. Movin up in the world.

Attachments

• 111210 split terrace.jpg
    111210 split terrace.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 359
SolarAndWood said:
... it looks like my new quick hot burner wood might be silver maple instead of eastern pine. Movin up in the world.

My go-to wood for those needs has always been black cherry. Since silver maple usually tests at a similar density to cherry, I think you're gonna love that stuff for the purpose. Ran a lot of three year old box elder through the stove this year during startups and was pretty impressed with its performance, but like the other woods mentioned, it burns away rather quickly.

Its all relative Jags, the pile was mostly punked junk a few years ago. My criteria was that if it didn't crumble while splitting, it was fair game.

Attachments

• old heap.jpg
    old heap.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 329
Battenkiller said:
My go-to wood for those needs has always been black cherry.

I'll have to keep my out for some cherry as we burn a lot at the camp and like it. I don't see much of it around town though for some reason.

I use Red Maple or pine. I like to use large, flat pieces of maple that let the air blow underneath. The coals below the wood burn up fast. I don't like Black Walnut for burning down coals because it seems to make a lot of coals, so it is more of a break even wood from the coals-burning perspective.

I like to use large, flat pieces of maple that let the air blow underneath

I use that technique as well. Lay down a couple runners and then roof them with flat pieces.

When I'm trying to burn down the coals I tend to use either a small split of whatever I have available or a larger softwood slab from my wood inventory . . . air open all the way . . . sit back and wait . . . ding . . . time to reload.

Silver maple burns fine, but I find it leaves about 10x more ash to clean out per BTU than pine.

SolarAndWood said:
I've burned a lot more pine the past two years but ran out last night. I use it opposite Locust, at the bottom of reloads of junk wood or anytime I have a nice coal bed but not getting enough heat out of it.

Locust is my go to when it is cold and blowing for extended periods but seems to be a high coaler. So, when its cold and blowing and there is no time to let the coal bed do its thing, what do you guys mix with your high coaling premium go to stuff?

I never even thought of doing that, we will have quaking aspen for next year also would basswood work? We have plenty of basswood and pine down that will just rot.

zap

I still have some 4-5 year old Poplar thats dry as heck. I use really thin splits as starters and sometimes throw a split in to burn a thick bed of embers.. works like a champ.

north of 60 said:
OMG Solar! What are you going to heat with in the shoulder season now. I think your screwed. :lol:

Ha, I never waste the pine in the shoulder season. That's reserved for chunks and uglies.

By the weather forcast plan on using your best wood in another week. Looks like 5-6 days some some serious cold should move in.

zapny said:
I never even thought of doing that, we will have quaking aspen for next year also would basswood work? We have plenty of basswood and pine down that will just rot.

Zap, maybe 25% of what I get my hands on is the good stuff. So, I find ways to use everything else to preserve the good stuff for when I need it.

Backwoods Savage said:
By the weather forcast plan on using your best wood in another week. Looks like 5-6 days some some serious cold should move in.

It was 11 when I just pulled in with a 20+ NW blow. I'm burning the good stuff now.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

Zap, maybe 25% of what I get my hands on is the good stuff. So, I find ways to use everything else to preserve the good stuff for when I need it.

I still won't burn the beech,ash or sugar maple during the day. The cherry is doing the job (70) upstairs, I'll use the sugar maple for the overnight burn.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.