out side air kit location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenc0322

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2011
long Island NY
I was wondering if I need to run my OAK to the outside of my house or if i can just end it in my garage. I have a Harman Accentra with a zero clearance box. The venting goes straight up through the roof of my garage and wanted to install an OAK but do not want to run the pipe along the wall of my garage and wanted to know if it is safe to just draw the air from my garage. The zero clearance box sticks into my garage about 2 feet and wanted to just run a 2 foot pipe straight up and add a 90 and draw the air from the garage any help would be great

Attachments

• out side air kit location
    harman garage 3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 345
  • out side air kit location
    harman garage 4.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 339
I think the best situation for that would be no sheetrock, so the air flow through the soffit/ridge/gable venting would be smooth. Is that what you have? Not sure how good it would be if your garage is enclosed in sheetrock (although it would still be better than no OAK).

I have a very similar setup where my vent exits the house and then goes up and out through a garage roof, and I just ran the oak intake from the garage, not all the way from outside.

Although, my "garage" is really just an 80 year old woodshed, so it's not insulated at all. It's closed off from the elements well enough (good roof, siding, Styrofoam sheathing, etc), but it's nowhere near airtight and there are tons of gaps for air to get in. How well it would work for you would depend on how well sealed your garage is, and to some extent, how sealed your house is from the garage.

My guess is that most garage doors have enough drafts that your stove would at least not be starving for air.

my house is very well sealed from the garage and the garage can easily get air from outside there is a vent in a crawl space that you can get to from the garage and the garage door has plenty of drafts for the air to come into i was wondering about any hazards that can come from not going all the way out side i dont think it is a problem with starving the stove for air. and hope it will cut down on the drafts the stove creates

Running it into the garage doesn't give you outside air.

Something to consider... Fumes from gasoline, paint thinner, or whatever else is sitting around in the garage. What happens if something gets knocked over and the fumes get sucked into your stove via the GAK (Garage Air Kit)?

Code in most areas prohibits installation in a garage for this reason (among others).

John97 said:

Something to consider... Fumes from gasoline, paint thinner, or whatever else is sitting around in the garage. What happens if something gets knocked over and the fumes get sucked into your stove via the GAK (Garage Air Kit)?

Code in most areas prohibits installation in a garage for this reason (among others).

Very good ponit!

John97 said:

Good point

GARAGE=CARBON MONOXIDE=...well, a no-no for an OAK termination

Also want to add that i dont park my car in the garage its full of tools and hockey equiptment

Okay, that's good. It's just something to be aware of. You & I would know not to warm up a car in there, but a few years down the road, who knows...life happens and things could change.

There is no OAK unless it is connected to the outside. Don't forget, that while it is intended for taking air only it, there are some exceptions when it might, not by intention, end up venting out and that is why the entire length of the OAK must be constructed of metal.

I entertained the idea of one of those window-mount pellet stoves for my otherwise unheated garage, because it's below my master bedroom - so the bedroom floor is cold. I've done what I can to insulate and fill cracks/gaps between the garage and the upstairs. But, the garage only has a 7' ceiling (already sheetrocked) like the rest of my house (upstairs is 7'6"). So, adding more insulation to keep the cold away from my bedroom (or keep the heat in my bedroom) is not an option. I figured I could take some of the chill out of the garage with the window unit, but decided against it.

Even though I don't store gas cans, paint thinner, or any other chemical in the garage - all of that stuff is in the shed - I can't guarantee that my wife, stepson, or anyone else won't. It's too much of a risk, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.