1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Outdoor firepits advice

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by scfa99, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    Looking for an outdoor fire pit that will last and not rust. Most of the big box stores carry crap that lasts a year or two. Anyone have any suggestions on something that looks nice, will kick out some heat and last?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I bought a cauldron looking one from Home Despot. It's heavy duty and cost a good chunk o change. However, it comes with a rain cover that I think will help the life as long as it withstands sun.
  3. Woodrat

Woodrat New Member

Loc:
    NE MA
    - I got lucky, had a commercial kitchen stainless steel steam-jacketed kettle given to me--I welded 2' SS legs onto it in tripod fashion, added a 1/2" mesh SS screen to the top ended up with a "firepit" that will last a lifetime!
    - Check local scrapyards, things like that turn up occasionally like when schools/hospitals update kitchen facilities.

- Best wishes, Woodrat
  4. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I dug a pit and lined it with rocks, it is in the side yard out of the way.
  5. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    If you live by a lake or stream, put the pit far from the water. Ashes have phosphorus which in most cases is not good for lakes and streams if it can wash in from a rain or snow melt.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    We have a silly state law against burn barrels, also against burning trash but that is too hard to enforce so they outlaw the innocent barrel, so we have learned to burn various "trash" type things in these commercial fire pits. If you burn it in an open pit then the ashes will float off and maybe start a wildfire.

I have a home dept cheap fire pit setup and it will only last a couple of years. The only way to do it right is to homebuild your own out of heavier gauge steel and expanded steel. Call it a BBQ.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.