Outdoor furnace vs outdoor boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Just wondering what the differnces are aside from one heatin your water. Done sometime searching and couldn't find much. Costs? Labor? Maintenance? All that good stuff. Thanks

Water is a lot better at moving heat than air so a boiler is usually much more efficient. Not to many otdoor furnaces that I Know of. If you did go with the furnice you would want it very
close to the house where as a boiler you can pipe further away without a lot of heat loss as long as you use good underground pipe.

Guess I was typin in the wrong stuff in the search box. I ended up finding all kinds of info. Boilers sure do seem complicated. I got plenty of time to think about it. Boiler/furnace will more than likely wait til I build a new house and that's a good ways away. Didn't think there was that much to them. Got plenty of reading and research to do. I'll jus stick with my inserts for prolly another 10 yrs. We're still young! Thanks woodsmaster

If you were to get a furnace, better be an indoor one since as someone else mentioned you would loose efficiency.

If its the size of the unit you were worried about the new EPA high efficiency units are much smaller since you dont have to put as much wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.