outdoor shower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok who wants to guess which one of those guys on the Boat is Ashful?
Hah... had to go back to see what you were talking about. Actually, none! But the bearded redhead guy playing middle crew looks enough like me to fool most, other than my wife and mother.

I was looking through my BC (Canadian National) Code looking for shower head height. They're always 6'6", right? I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm usually pretty good at book readin'. Is it in there?
I'd make the shower head any height that works for you. Remember too account for the gooseneck and length of shower head you will be using when you rough in the female threaded elbow that the gooseneck screws into. You want some room above your head when all is said and done.

Hah... had to go back to see what you were talking about. Actually, none! But the bearded redhead guy playing middle crew looks enough like me to fool most, other than my wife and mother.
Ha i was gonna guess middle.

Reactions: Ashful
I was looking through my BC (Canadian National) Code looking for shower head height. They're always 6'6", right? I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm usually pretty good at book readin'. Is it in there?
And why would someone from the UK have a BC code book?

As someone who's "pretty tall", even if not freakishly so, there are few things I hate more than a too-low shower head. Anything lower than 6' - 6" for the drop-ear elbow fitting would really drive me nuts, as I'd be banging my head on the shower head, mounted at the end of any standard 6" bent shower arm.

Reactions: all night moe
As someone who's "pretty tall", even if not freakishly so, there are few things I hate more than a too-low shower head. Anything lower than 6' - 6" for the drop-ear elbow fitting would really drive me nuts, as I'd be banging my head on the shower head, mounted at the end of any standard 6" bent shower arm.
Yea, someone installed a canister style water filter almost in the middle of my basement. Short walls and it hangs off the ceiling.
I can't recall haw many times I've walked into that sucker. Smashed my forehead at least 3 times today so far. Grab some splits off the stack, turn around and whamo. It's just in a really bad spot.

Reactions: Ashful
Yea, someone installed a canister style water filter almost in the middle of my basement. Short walls and it hangs off the ceiling.
I can't recall haw many times I've walked into that sucker. Smashed my forehead at least 3 times today so far. Grab some splits off the stack, turn around and whamo. It's just in a really bad spot.
if you don't use it, or don't change filters you could most likely spin it 90 degrees to get it out of the way if it was installed with compression fittings. Of course you risk it dripping at the compression fittings. If u r good at plumbing might be worth it.

@bigealta No compression fittings. Male threaded copper. I'll move it at some point. it wasn't a problem before because I wasn't stacking wood in that area. I'll move it over near the well when I add to the filtration system. We have iron but no sulfur. The sediment a nd iron isn't bad but it's there. The filter takes the sediment out. I need a softener for the iron.

@bigealta No compression fittings. Male threaded copper. I'll move it at some point. it wasn't a problem before because I wasn't stacking wood in that area. I'll move it over near the well when I add to the filtration system. We have iron but no sulfur. The sediment a nd iron isn't bad but it's there. The filter takes the sediment out. I need a softener for the iron.
Yeah that's what i have at my rental property. Softener for iron and after that canister for taste /odor mainly for sulfur. The canister is an easy place to add hydrogen peroxide for periodic pipe flushing.

Yeah that's what i have at my rental property. Softener for iron and after that canister for taste /odor mainly for sulfur. The canister is an easy place to add hydrogen peroxide for periodic pipe flushing.
Gee, not to derail this thread further but, it is a plumbing thread. Do you think H2O2 would be good to soak a fixture in? I just took the head off the kitchen faucet to soak in vinegar for the day. It's a dual hanging unit with buttons for stream or spray. It's clogged some with only the spray currently working,

Yeah that's what i have at my rental property. Softener for iron and after that canister for taste /odor mainly for sulfur.

Gee, not to derail this thread further but, it is a plumbing thread. Do you think H2O2 would be good to soak a fixture in? I just took the head off the kitchen faucet to soak in vinegar for the day. It's a dual hanging unit with buttons for stream or spray. It's clogged some with only the spray currently working,
Not sure, I used it to "purify" the copper water lines and water tank. It gets rid of the sulfur smell.

Well, back to my outdoor shower ... :)

The nearby hot tub is the SoftTub variety, which run off parasitic heat from the pump (for the jets) and therefore requires several DAYS to come up to temperature. Thus, since I've installed both a cold and a hot water hose bib there for the outdoor shower, I'd like to do the occasional topping up of the hot tub with hot water. So I bought a short garden hose to dedicate to this purpose semi-permanently connected to the hot hosebib via a Y-connector.

However, the fine print on the hose (a fairly cheap Husky brand from Home Despot) says "do not use for hot water". So, what will happen if I do ? Is there a type of hose that is suitable for hot water ? Should I just use PEX ?

BTW, for draining the pex lines from the hot&cold hosebibs to the outdoor shower (during freezing weather), I bought these things (suggested above) ...

But they seemed un-reliable to me. Preferring not to risk damaging the hosebibs, and worse the expensive chrome shower set, and realizing I'd have to go turn the hosebibs off anyhow, I decided to go with these things - and just disconnect the lines from the hosebibs. They seem to work quite well (so far) ...

Well, back to my outdoor shower ... :)

The nearby hot tub is the SoftTub variety, which run off parasitic heat from the pump (for the jets) and therefore requires several DAYS to come up to temperature. Thus, since I've installed both a cold and a hot water hose bib there for the outdoor shower, I'd like to do the occasional topping up of the hot tub with hot water. So I bought a short garden hose to dedicate to this purpose semi-permanently connected to the hot hosebib via a Y-connector.

However, the fine print on the hose (a fairly cheap Husky brand from Home Despot) says "do not use for hot water". So, what will happen if I do ? Is there a type of hose that is suitable for hot water ? Should I just use PEX ?
The hose will most likely soften when you run hot water through it, which could be an issue for its pressure rating. However, if you are leaving the end open to fill a hot tub you shouldn't need to worry about that.

What @gthomas785 said, but just to add, they also make garden hoses rated for hot water. Many manufacturers make theirs with a red rubber sheathing, to easily identify them. I guess the RV guys could tell us why, as most of them also show an RV on their packaging, or state they're compliant with RV drinking water requirements.

Reactions: RustyShackleford