Outside air for gas boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Our house is relatively tight, so much so that when we added insulation (and did some sealing in the attic) we had to add an HRV to ensure enough fresh air in the house...

The gas boiler is in a utility room in the basement. The rest of the basement is finished.

With the house so tight, I'm wondering if I need to provide outside air for the gas boiler.

If I remember correctly, when the house was evaluated, the boiler had acceptable exhaust flow (unlike the gas hot water heater that was sized too large for the installation and was exhausting into the utility room rather than into its horizontal exhaust flu). Yea, it was trying to kill us...but that's an old thread...and we're still here. It's not. :)

One interesting tidbit...we haven't installed our wood stove insert in the first floor fireplace yet (long story) and when I start a fire in the fireplace, smoke makes its way to the basement and things get smoky. I suspect it's being pulled through the ashbox into the utility room, which is directly below the fireplace. If I run the boiler (by turning up a thermostat) the smoke eventually clears...

I'm not sure that this smoke issue is related...but it's possible. The boiler is 26 years old and has a vent damper that closes when the boiler is not running.

I'm thinking that I need to provide additional air for the gas boiler. It's a conventional unit (not gas condensing).

I've done some research, and it looks like the simplest approach is to run some 4" PVC pipe through the utility room wall to the outside. On the outside, I'd run a 90 degree elbow with a short run of PVC down the wall. Inside, I'd run another 90 elbow and PVC down the wall into a trashcan on the floor. Evidently, the trashcan creates a thermal break, keeping cold air from coming in unless the boiler is demanding air.

Or...I could tap into the exhaust of the HRV, grabbing some of that semi treated air and keeping it in the house, effectively pressurizing the utility room. The drawback of this approach is that the utility room is not sealed from the rest of the house, nor will I be able to seal it. Not sure that's an issue...but it's a consideration.

Would appreciate your thoughts....

Thanks!

I'm assuming there's no way to connect an outside air duct directly the boiler?
The pipe you describe may work but I think a simple u trap in the pipe would have the same effectiveness as the trash can.
A better solution might be to install an electrically operated vent in the wall that is open only when the boiler is burning.

I'm assuming there's no way to connect an outside air duct directly the boiler?
The pipe you describe may work but I think a simple u trap in the pipe would have the same effectiveness as the trash can.
A better solution might be to install an electrically operated vent in the wall that is open only when the boiler is burning.

Yes, tha's correct. The boiler is not specifically designed for an outside air supply, and the front of the unit has a door with vents. I can see the burners through the door. As long as I get air into the room, the boiler will get it.

They make outside vents that can be controlled by the furnace. They open when furnace kicks in and shuts when the furnace shuts down

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk