Outside Air Kit Got Plugged With Blowing Snow Late Yesterday w/Englander, Lazy Flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
I noticed late yesterday after stove on 4-5 top buttons and 6-6-1 lower buttons, fire was getting that lazy look and seemed like a few pellets weren't burning well. Earlier that day 3pm ish I did notice my OAK hose was iced up inside about 2 inches in from the wall. So at 7pm I trudged out in thigh deep snow to just take a peek at my intake and exhaust. Sure enough my OAK intake was plugged with snow. I simply brushed it off with my well gloved fingers and all was well. Just letting you know it can get plugged with just a few snow flakes even with a protection cover. Watch for lazy flame. Didn't sleep most of the night because I was worried about it.

Take a flashlight with you. I made 2 trips.

My OAK is installed through my thimble so it has a sort of self defrost feature but I do keep an eye on it.
Had my first upper auger jam the other day for what its worth.

kast said:
Ah ha! putting on the boots now :)

I'm interested in what you find. Let me know. Thanks

pelletizer said:
My OAK is installed through my thimble so it has a sort of self defrost feature but I do keep an eye on it.

Just wondering, how did you know it was jammed. No fire? I have heard many crunches (auger eating pellets, but no jams so far).

Haha mine got plugged yesterday too! Iced right up solid! Took the blow drier to it real quick solved that problem...

The snow was out of control up here in our neck of the woods yesterday!

CDodge04 said:
Haha mine got plugged yesterday too! Iced right up solid! Took the blow drier to it real quick solved that problem...

The snow was out of control up here in our neck of the woods yesterday!

Heard you got buried. I think here in Windham we got 17 inches after all was said and done.

sydney said:
pelletizer said:

Just wondering, how did you know it was jammed. No fire? I have heard many crunches (auger eating pellets, but no jams so far).

Came in stove was out, no pellets in lower auger, could not move upper auger motor assy at rear of stove.
removed pellets from hopper and sucked out pellets form upper auger, moved upper auger motor up and down at same time,
filled up hopper and restarted, I do hear the auger crunchers from time to time sort of like the langoliers you know as you are in Maine, but I think it was a few "PUFFY" pellets I had noticed in the bag that was dumped in the hopper. they were pellets that had got damp and PUFFED AND DRIED,
Nothing worse than a Puffy pellet predicament Sydney.

I had a bag of musty "Puffy Pellets", throw them out!

Snowdrift was smashed right into it! Could not believe it thought it was running a little lazy, then I read your post and after looking out the window realize there was a ton of snow built up around it.

Thanks!

I was looking at mine on sunday night (I can see it from my kitchen window) and it was about 1 inch away from being covered in snow. I was already for bed so I just hoped it would not blow over. Now the snow has compressed a little so its about 2 inches away. I plan on diggin it out before the next storm tho. But I never thought the snow would get that high, If I remember correctly that I put it almost 3ft up from ground level.

Yeah I didn’t think it would either, but I have some bushes on both sides of the OAK so that doesn’t help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.