outside air kit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
My plan is to install a outside air kit for my new stove( Equinox).
The stove is to be installed in front of the Existing fireplace.
I want use the ash clean out in the fireplace for the outside air source.
Ill have to exit from underneath the stove,rise about 6 inches , travel along the firebrick about two feet & drop down into the clean out.
Is this an acceptable outside air installation?
thanks,doug

where dose you fireplace cleanout exit ? in my old house the cleanout dumped into the basement where there's a door to clean out the ash, in this case you would not be drawing your air from outside. or some houses have the door on the outside in this case you would have to terminate the end somehow, preferably that doesn’t provide a path for critters and cold air to enter the house. With that in mind i think using the space is a good idea. As long as it's large enough to accommodate the cfm’s you need to feed the fire.

I was told in an older house you don't need an outside air kit, newer houses with high speed insulation and windows may require it...just say'en.

The clean out is outside.
I recently installed Pella windows , Tyvec & Hardie plank. so the house is a lot tighter.
I read the house may heat more evenly without the negative pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.