Outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Westernmassguy

Feb 20, 2021
Chicopee Ma
Hey all,
I have a question I can't seem to to find the answer to. I would like to install an o.a.k but I can not go straight and out the wall (theres baseboard heating.) I would have to go up and out (like my chimney.) Will this pose a problem?

In a word NO

To specify, the oak would end up outside the house FEET below the chimney exhaust. The only route I have is up a foot and out. The chimney is multiple feet up and out.

This is exactly how I have mine, to clear the baseboard radiator, and no clear space in the wall otherwise. So up and out about a foot above the level of the exhaust thimble. But the actual exhaust outlet outside is 6 feet above the air intake. 5 years and no problem.

This is exactly how I have mine, to clear the baseboard radiator, and no clear space in the wall otherwise. So up and out about a foot above the level of the exhaust thimble. But the actual exhaust outlet outside is 6 feet above the air intake. 5 years and no problem.
Thanks a lot! You doing it for 5 years eases my mind.

You can now but chimney pipe which has both
the exhaust and the outside air intake in one unit
Not cheep!==c

Those concentric tubes are standard installation practice round these parts. And has been for over ten years now.
They also increase the efficiency of the stove . By 1 % ?

The benefits are debatable and are debated here frequently...I’d really like to see a real world experiment....but haven’t seen or come across one yet

Reactions: SidecarFlip
The benefits are debatable and are debated here frequently...I’d really like to see a real world experiment....but haven’t seen or come across one yet
Neither have I but, my theory is why use heated air to provide combustion air, seems counter productive to me plus, without an outside air kit installed, the combustion air fan is creating a slight vacuum in the house and causing outside air infiltration to be more pronounced and at least in my opinion, why have excessive outside air infiltration when the outside air can be many degrees colder than the inside air is.

No home is air tight, but why exacerbate the infiltration issue when it's easy to install an outside air kit and most every appliance comes with the ducting built in

Talking about direct vent SideCarFlip....pretty sure an oak has been proven beneficial