outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onastick

Nov 15, 2010
nova scotia
i know alot of people always ask about the outside air kits but i have a different question about them.

what would happen if you hook an oak to a vent upstairs in you home to draw the cold air down into the stove like a normal furnace???

just an idea!

same thing as if you didn't have an oak at all.

I assume that by "normal furnace", you mean a forced hot air system. the cold air returns for these systems aren't for feeding the combustion in the furnace; they're to re-circulate the cold air in the house so that it gets heated, and re-distributed.

the combustion air that feeds the fire in either a furnace, or a pellet stove, gets "polluted" by the fire, and has to be sent out the chimney. In both cases, (A pellet stove really isn't a "stove"; it is really a wood-fired furnace that looks like a stove), if the combustion air is drawn from inside the house, (ANYwhere inside the house), it has to be replaced by air that is outside the house. With an oak, that air is isolated from the rest of the air in the house. without an oak, the air has to be sucked into the house through small cracks and leaks in the walls, where it mixes with the air that you payed money to heat, and cools it off. now you have to pay to heat it again. and you'll have more cold drafts.

cac4 said:
same thing as if you didn't have an oak at all.

I assume that by "normal furnace", you mean a forced hot air system. the cold air returns for these systems aren't for feeding the combustion in the furnace; they're to re-circulate the cold air in the house so that it gets heated, and re-distributed.

the combustion air that feeds the fire in either a furnace, or a pellet stove, gets "polluted" by the fire, and has to be sent out the chimney. In both cases, (A pellet stove really isn't a "stove"; it is really a wood-fired furnace that looks like a stove), if the combustion air is drawn from inside the house, (ANYwhere inside the house), it has to be replaced by air that is outside the house. With an oak, that air is isolated from the rest of the air in the house. without an oak, the air has to be sucked into the house through small cracks and leaks in the walls, where it mixes with the air that you payed money to heat, and cools it off. now you have to pay to heat it again. and you'll have more cold drafts.

X a gazillion

Status
Not open for further replies.