Outside air supply for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Has anybody used the -- Condar ASV-90 air supply Ventilator? I was thinking about putting one on each side of are fireplace so it will draw its air from there instead of the reast of the house. Do you think it will work??

Thanks JW.

Attachments

• air supply3.jpg
    air supply3.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 395
I used one in my basement and it helped with the negative pressure problem I was having. Recently I hooked outside air directly to the stove and it works much better.

What kind of fireplace do you have? I have a masonary fireplace and hooked up outside air up through the ash dump. I used a big piece of 1/4" steel plate cut to fit on the floor and elevated it with some firebricks so the outside air could come up through the ash dump that is located right in the middle of the floor. Also installed some airtight doors so it will only take air from the outside.

Todd said:
I used one in my basement and it helped with the negative pressure problem I was having. Recently I hooked outside air directly to the stove and it works much better.

What kind of fireplace do you have? I have a masonary fireplace and hooked up outside air up through the ash dump. I used a big piece of 1/4" steel plate cut to fit on the floor and elevated it with some firebricks so the outside air could come up through the ash dump that is located right in the middle of the floor. Also installed some airtight doors so it will only take air from the outside.

Hi todd

I have a masonary fireplace also. i do have the ash door under where i have the fire. It goes to the celar. Do you think i could get air from there??

Is your chimney on an outside wall? Mine is and it made it easy, just rented a 4" hammer drill and went through the brick into the ash dump, then installed a dryer vent to keep out the critters.

The outside air made a big difference in the fireplaces operation. It has the heatalator tube vents so it can really pump out the heat. I only burn it once in awhile, but it has no problem getting the house up to 85. Next thing I need to do is to find a way to control the air so it doesn't burn up so much wood.

Under those firebricks is the steel plate that covers up the ash dump. The air come up through the ash dump then forward to right in front of the doors where there is about a 1/2" gap to let the air escape up into the fire.

Attachments

• 000_0057.JPG
    000_0057.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 431
Todd said:
Is your chimney on an outside wall? Mine is and it made it easy, just rented a 4" hammer drill and went through the brick into the ash dump, then installed a dryer vent to keep out the critters.

The outside air made a big difference in the fireplaces operation. It has the heatalator tube vents so it can really pump out the heat. I only burn it once in awhile, but it has no problem getting the house up to 85. Next thing I need to do is to find a way to control the air so it doesn't burn up so much wood.

Under those firebricks is the steel plate that covers up the ash dump. The air come up through the ash dump then forward to right in front of the doors where there is about a 1/2" gap to let the air escape up into the fire.

My chimney is in the garage. Do you think if i put two vents on eather side it would work? I can control the air with the vents under the glass. I think if i used two it could be nice. My ash dump goes to two doors in the cellar by the floor.

Attachments

• vent55.jpg
    vent55.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 373
I don't think the air supply ventilators would work that well. Some of the air might reach the fireplace, but most will probably flow out into the room. Direct hook up to outside air would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.