1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    The Quadrafire 2700i insert I am getting has outside air capability. The existing ZC fireplace has outside air ducted (and things do get cool in the hearth area!). The dealer says he's never installed this option on a 2700i and suggested if I wanted outside air, I should just leave the ductwork and keep the outside vent unblocked and it will suck in the cool outside air. House currently has oil heat with inside air intake, dryer, and (potentially) an underslab radon removal system.

-Should outside air intake be avoided unless absolutely necessary?
    -Should I just see how things work and then go from there (that's my current plan :) )
    -Is there a remote-controlled lever kit to turn off or on outside air? (Note that the stove would still get air from inside if air was forgotten to be turned on.)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The cooler your intake combustion air, the less efficiency you will have with the insert. Therefore I wouldn't resort to that option unless you can't get enough air from the living space. Hard to imagine that scenario, but it's possible.
  3. roac

roac New Member

Loc:
    Nampa, Idaho
    Like Eric said unless you live in Washington state where outside air is required by law.
  4. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's interesting, roac. I didn't know that.

What's the rationale? It can't be to keep emissions down, I wouldn't think, for the reasons I stated in my post. Or if it is, it's bass ackwards logic.
  5. roac

roac New Member

Loc:
    Nampa, Idaho
  6. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Well, excuuuuuuuuusssssssssseeeeeee me!

Guess there's at least two sides to every issue. Thanks for providing the link, roac.
  7. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    There are vents which automatically suck in outside air into the house when the inside pressure drops sufficiently to cause them to open. They are completely passive devices, and open and close based on the pressure differential between the inside of the house and outside. You can install one of those in the room with the stove. If you place one strategically, you can direct the cold draft which normally goes across the floor to the stove to a part of the room which is not occupied much.
  8. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

In Canada Outside air is required. I know your are restricted by your existing ZC size but the 2700i has a small firebox and
    has problems with approaching manufacture claims In fact it falls quite short of them. Might be ok for a room but not much more
  9. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
  10. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
  11. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I have had good luck with my previous Quadrafire Insert.
  12. CK-1

CK-1 Feeling the Heat

The PE Summit Insert I installed uses outside from a combustion air vent I left open. Being that my house is air tight, this was the best choice. Never had a problem lighting the stove with news paper or a egg cartons..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.