Outside Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpaige

Feb 13, 2015
Mass
Hi, I know OAK has already been debated extensively. And after reading many threads I am convinced that hooking up the OAK will increase the efficiency of my stove. But my dilemma is where to get my outside air from. I have a New Englander 1500 sq stuffed into my fireplace vented up the chimney and no OAK currently installed. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can run the OAK?

It ain't pretty, but I ran mine to a window next to the stove with 3 inch metalflex which Woodstock didn't recommend, however they said try it.Works fine. Made a wood plate with a cut out circle. There also is in our fireplace a clean out and I could have run it through there into the basement then outside.

Reascreen you have a picture I would try the same thing

It ain't pretty, but I ran mine to a window next to the stove with 3 inch metalflex which Woodstock didn't recommend, however they said try it.Works fine. Made a wood plate with a cut out circle. There also is in our fireplace a clean out and I could have run it through there into the basement then outside.
Is this really any more efficient than not having an oak? If I'm understanding correctly you have a hole cutout of a wood board stuck in an open window. Wouldnt this negate the seal of your window, thereby letting in cold air into the living space anyway?

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
I have access to coring equipment. Would it be crazy to core a whole straight out the back of the fireplace and run the OAK directly out? Or, I sealed the fire box with a steal plate and ran my 4" liner out of the top of the chimney, can I drill a hole in the steal plate and just run the OAK a little ways up the chimney?

I'll send a pic by end of day, my experience with outside air is that, and I'm no scientist, cold air makes my stoves run better. And, yes if it weren't for the bubble wrap I have over the window, a draft may come in. You could use rigid insulation.

My through-window diy oak probably made my window leak less since I sealed it up best I could and added insulation to the center between inner and outer osb panels.

There was a thread on here a while back with pictures where somebody cored through the chimney for the OAK. Pretty slick but I would not do it myself, just so as not to alter the structure. Other options are to utilize an ash dump if you have one, or end the OAK just above the smoke shelf and seal it with a plate, and ventilate your chimney cap

Pics of install, screen over to keep mice at bay. In my old house that I built (avatar pic) I had a 3 inch pipe going underneath in the joist bay to the sill but forgot to put a screen over it. Well, the mice would get in and you'd hear them as the metalflex made a racket. I lit some punk and wafted it near the intake and within 5 seconds they popped their head out and scurried. photo (6).JPG photo (7).JPG

Thanks for the pics Rearscreen

Hi deercamp, if you are asking me rearscreen, yes we do, however, we plan to move soon this year and a quick solution was best.

I put the OAK in the ash dump for now. So it's basically just pulling air from the basement. But in my opinion at least that's better then pulling the air from the living room.

Here is my through the window OAK under construction:
oak4-800-jpg.143278

Inner and outer OSB panels with insulation sandwiched between and that round foam gasket 'caulk saver' stuffed between the panes and around the boards, etc. I made the pass through with just sheet metal rolled into a tube and riveted, caulked.

This was just temporary for the year, I'll have to decide if I want to do something different yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.