1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemms

Lemms New Member

Loc:
    Edgar, WI
    As some of you have already found out, we are looking to purchase a pellet stove in the near future. I had a question concerning the outside air kits that can be attached to most of these. Does an outside air kit increase the efficiency of the furnace?
    Are they worth their price and installing?

Lemms

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    We elected to install the kit, primarily because it's a basement install with other appliances that need air (water heater, NG clothes dryer, etc). We also used the Selkirk vent that is a 'tube in a tube' design, fresh air in on the outside of the vent, exhaust out the center, so only one hole in the wall for both. I also made a metal baffle to cover the silver air intake connection so all you from front on is the 6" vent which looks good. Also, back when we installed, the dealer did not have an reducer to go from the Selkirk vent tee to the outside air tube. A cleaned out PVC pipe glue can fit perfect, the screw top to the outside air tube, the can with the end cut out to the Selkirk tee. In my knowledge and as long as the unit has enough combustion air, the kit will not affect efficiency one way or the other. Selkirk--> http://www.selkirkinc.com/pdfs/chim/PelletBro-Final.pdf
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.