Outside air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiest

Jan 31, 2007
Good news. I found an honest and reasonable contractor in central new york to install my chimney. But I do have a question of those of you with experience. When he ripped out my old fireplace he noticed it was connected to outside air. He said it would be a good oppourtunity to attach an outside air kit to the new stove I am getting. So my question is: is it worth it? What kind of benefits could I potentially see? Are there any drawbacks? Are they adjustable, for instance, if I did not like the way it burned with it, could I close it?

Yes, the outside air kit (OAK) is worth putting it, especially now that you have it already easy to access. It will reduce the drafts throughout your house, which in turn is basically cold air being drawn into your house and sent up your flue as warm heated air. The OAK eliminates a lot of the drafts caused by combustion. I would definately hook it up. I know the OAK on my Napoleon NZ3000 is adjustable, I can control how much air comes in through it (it will compensate with air drawn from the house). Not sure about your particular stove, though. Either way, it would be easy and relatively inexpensive, so why not?

If there is no control and you decide you didn't want it, plugging it would be pretty simple. But as Scott stated, it is there so why not use it?

Reactions: ScotO
I installed the OAK kit on my F-600 and it made all the difference in the world in my house. No more drafts from the opposite end of the house from make-up air.

Reactions: ScotO
My stove runs great with an OAK. I see nothing wrong with using outside air to for stove combustion instead of the air from your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.