Outside fish cleaning table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to preserve a table that is going to sit outside and serve as a fish cleaning table. I am building it for this purpose specifically. Keep in mind that supper will be touching this table so no harsh stuff can be used (like the stuff in rail road ties.)

Why bother preserving it? For your project I'd think a finish would be a waste of time. The main issue I see with any finish is your table is going to be outside and subject to the suns rays 24/7. Any finish that is durable enough to withstand prolonged exposure to UV rays probably isn't the best at standing up to knife knicks and pieces could come off and bed itself into the fish. I wouldn't want my family to eat that. Some of the heavy metals used as dryers (such as the boiled part in boiled linseed oil) just don't lend themselves to food prep. Same with paint and marine varnishes. Bare wood could be resanded/planed at any time and will live fairly long in the weather.

An alternative might be a piece of corian countertop. Not the stuff that is glued to particle board, but the sheets that are loose and you bend them to glue over your existing countertop or as a backsplash. You would have durability with knife gashes, easy to wash off with a garden hose and it should hold up fine in the weather.

Matt

I built one using a stainless counter top from craigslist for 40 bucks. I used 4x4 under it with 2x4's for cross support. Simply hose it off when done. Works very well. When cleaning the fish i use a cutting board under the fish to avoid knife touching s/steel top and dulling blade.

Find a granite coutertop maker in you area. They usually have busted pieces they give away for next to nothing. I drop a dumpster at my local shop 1nce every 6 months and they pay me to remove it.Some pieces are up to 3x4.
Some heavy duty commercial dump truck liner wood work too.Check yellow pages for truck bed sales/ installers. Commercial not sissy pickups.I have a bunch of it around here for different projects in less than 3' pieces and 1/2 inck thick

Hmmm...some good ideas here. The real be-otch is that I got rid of 2 stainless counter tops about a year and a half ago. [kicking myself] :down:

Google "Starboard" material, It's 3/4" thick poly material used for heavy duty cutting boards as well as may applications on boats, it comes in diffrent size sheets and can be cut and worked with reg. woodworking tools. I have one mounted on a pressure treated legs. Going on ten yrs now.
Hank

Stainless is the way to go.

Why do you only want to clean the outside of the fish?

(ducking and running)

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
Why do you only want to clean the outside of the fish?

(ducking and running)

Peace,
- Sequoia

Because the inside is where the meat is???

{perry, perry...thrust!}

Use either stainless as has been suggested or maple, DO NOT use any form of plastic cutting boards. The stainless is easy to clean, the wood has naturaly antibacterial properties, the plastic holds bacteria in the nicks and grooves and cannot be cleaned properly, other than complete immersion in bleach.

steel is nice, and you can get some diamond plate for accents. heck, use diamond plate for the whole thing and youll have some "traction" to keep fishies from gettin away.

I would say to build the table top out of any sort of easily hosed down material, and get a couple of appropriately sized wood or plastic cutting boards that live in the kitchen and only come out when the fish are actually getting cleaned... Let the guts and stuff get on the table where they can be rinsed off, keep the parts you will eat on the dishwasherable cutting board.

Gooserider

LADYGO DIVA said:
fish rinsings stink! considered a bidet?

Thats for after the fish is consumed. Anyways...

I think I got a fix. One of the stainless counter tops that I gave away a couple years ago was to my brother. A quick phone call and found out that he only wanted a small portion of it (it was a total of about 8 ft long). Looks like there will be plenty left to slap a stainless top on a wood frame. Whooo Hoooo, back in bidness.

Cleaned a lot of salmon in Alaska many years ago. We used the white colored "starboard" material mentioned by kork because it was NSF (National Sanitary Foundation?) approved for commercial kitchen use, was durable, easy on sharp knife edges, and cleaned easily. It stayed outside for years and never deteriorated from the weather. We also used knives with handles made of the same material. The handles filled your hand and gave a good grip doing a slippery job. I believe the handles were also NSF approved.

Am currently using one of these 30 year old boards in 1/2" thickness as a chopping board in my kitchen.

John_M

Jags cedar planking holds up well to mother nature.

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. It gave me plenty to ponder. I think I will be going with stainless though. The durability and ability to be easily cleaned won the day over.

Delta-T said:
steel is nice, and you can get some diamond plate for accents. heck, use diamond plate for the whole thing and youll have some "traction" to keep fishies from gettin away.

a flat surface is best to fillet fish on

cool project, wish i had need for a cleaning table at my house.. what kind of fish do you need to clean?

Wood Heat Stoves said:
Delta-T said:

a flat surface is best to fillet fish on

cool project, wish i had need for a cleaning table at my house.. what kind of fish do you need to clean?

Well, this is actually for my cabin on the Mississippi River. Primarily, it is walleye that see the blade. I am on a back channel (its about 24 ft deep straight out). My front yard:

Attachments

• cabin 009sm.jpg
    cabin 009sm.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 278
Wood Heat Stoves said:
damn i miss walleye and pike!

This past holiday weekend was a fish fry for about 30 people. Guess what was on the menu??

Jags said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
damn i miss walleye and pike!

This past holiday weekend was a fish fry for about 30 people. Guess what was on the menu??

i hate you, lol!
we had crappie and striped bass labor day, not walleye, but still good.

i grew up in fishing s.dakota, montana,washington, bc, and yukon

just my opinion - but walleye is the best tasting fish. Don't have enough places to fish for it here where i live, i get to fish it once or twice a yr in Oneida Lke NY. Freezes really well in a block of ice - lasts a long time. Mostly fish for trout around here, and that is limited. I yearn for living more rural.
Didn't mean to highjack the thread, it looked like it changed to what fish instead of material.....

thats it.......... the boats commin off the rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.