Over drafted with really high flu temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlightMedic32

Sep 7, 2015
Toledo Ohio
This is my first year burning wood and I have a daka add on furnace. This furnace mandates a Baro damper, and up until two nights ago, I eye balled it on a windy day to walk around with the draft.

For the last month I have been burning on and off due to warmer temps and lows just in the 30s. I have a double wall pipe that goes into a masonry, teracota lined 25' chimney. My flue temps have been a nice 800 on start up and then 400 for my extended burn times. Thought I had it all down.. Until 2 nights ago

2 nights ago the temps got down to 15. At 9pm I went to reload, filled the box all the way up, opened up the intake all the way to get everything hot. When I came back 20mins later to start dialing down I noticed an odd smell. I checked the flue temps and it was 1100. I checked the Baro damper, it wasn't moving now at all, I opened it up manually and the little bit of creosote on the disk was burning off. I then watched the temps go up to 1500, then 2000. The pipe began heat smoking. I turned the air control all the way off and held the damper open. everything outside looked normal. I changed my pants, and went back down stairs to start over. I turned the air controller back open, and within 5mins the temps were back over 1k. I started adjusted the damper out quite a bit and ran it the rest of the night w/o any problems.

A manometer is on the way to the house. So the Baro damper will be set properly. My question is, do the cold temps create that much draft to suck all the gases up into the stove pipe? That's the first cold night weve had, and is the only factor that changed that night. From my inspection, I can't see any damage. I don't believe it was a chimney fire, but instead so much overdraft since the Baro damper wasn't set properly. Any thoughts??

To me, who has no direct experience, it sounds like there was a chimney fire.
When you kept open the baro damper by hand, you were feeding oxygen directly to the chimney fire.
Perhaps the creosote layer wasn't thick, and as a result of the way you had been burning for the last month.
If it was a chimney fire, I don't know why the baro damper wouldn't have been open by itself; I've always heard that was a downfall of a baro damper on a wood burning system.

Opening up the Baro cooled everything off fairly quickly, from 2k to 1100 in less than a minute. That why I was thinking it wasn't an active fire in the stove pipe.

Hmmm.
Was it a reload when you stacked it to the gills and walked away for 20 minutes with the air wide open? Were there still pieces of unconsumed wood in there? Could 20 minutes have been too long to leave it unattended like that?
Maybe someone with actual experience will respond.

Yup, you had a chimney fire. What was there lit off with the damper open for 20 minutes. You don't have to have a flame, but high temps will cause creosote to ignite. Opening the baro just fuels things at that point. You'll have to watch things and clean as needed. I would have swept the chimney after that. Creosote expands and causes blockages. Burning hotter cleaner fires will help. Your baro closed due to creosote and you were running at maximum draft, which in return shoots alot of heat up the flue.

I'll also add, do NOT open the barometric damper if you think you're having a chimney fire. Closing all the dampers on the furnace as well as the baro will help snuff the fire. The last thing you want to introduce is oxygen. Since you have a terra cotta flue, you may want to check things out to make sure nothings cracked.

I would have it checked out by a pro if it's a terra cotta chimney could have cracks and need a liner now.

Thanks for the responses. Talk about a scary feeling seeing the temps up that high. Surprised I had any creosote built up already :/ guess I have a lot more to learn!

Bad burning habits take no time to accumulate creosote. If you don't have a high btu load, burn smaller fires and burn them hot. I work with someone that after 2 weeks said their woodfurnace wouldn't work, and it was smoking them out. I told her have her chimney swept and she said, "that's not the problem, the chimney is new". I believe they ended up with a chimney fire also. Read up, burn seasoned wood and burn things hot. Your chimney will let you know how you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.