1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Overfiring a pellet stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by madge69, Dec 16, 2010.

1. madge69

madge69 Member

Loc:
    central ma
    I saw in my owners manual that overfiring the stove voids the warranty. How do you know if you're overfiring? (I'm burning Okies in a VistaFlame / Enviro).

Wouldn't the control board be designed so that it wouldn't get too hot on the high setting?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    If you loose a convection fan or one gets crudded up, the means of keeping the stove from overheating is gone. Once the stove gets to a certain temperature a high limit switch opens, this kills the power to the auger, which prevents fuel from being dumped into the burn pot, eventually the fire goes out.

If someone were to then jumper the hi limit switch for whatever reason and leave it that way then the stove would continue to feed pellets until it got so hot it deformed the firebox, caused the door frame to warp, etc .... etc ... until something else caused the stove to shut down or (use imagination, think flames, smoke getting out) .....

Just like on any heating device when the safeties are bypassed all kinds of "bad things" (TM) can happen.