Overfiring a pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madge69

Nov 18, 2010
central ma
I saw in my owners manual that overfiring the stove voids the warranty. How do you know if you're overfiring? (I'm burning Okies in a VistaFlame / Enviro).

Wouldn't the control board be designed so that it wouldn't get too hot on the high setting?

madge69 said:
I saw in my owners manual that overfiring the stove voids the warranty. How do you know if you're overfiring? (I'm burning Okies in a VistaFlame / Enviro).

Wouldn't the control board be designed so that it wouldn't get too hot on the high setting?

If you loose a convection fan or one gets crudded up, the means of keeping the stove from overheating is gone. Once the stove gets to a certain temperature a high limit switch opens, this kills the power to the auger, which prevents fuel from being dumped into the burn pot, eventually the fire goes out.

If someone were to then jumper the hi limit switch for whatever reason and leave it that way then the stove would continue to feed pellets until it got so hot it deformed the firebox, caused the door frame to warp, etc .... etc ... until something else caused the stove to shut down or (use imagination, think flames, smoke getting out) .....

Just like on any heating device when the safeties are bypassed all kinds of "bad things" (TM) can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.