Overheat with Pex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
I will be using my livingroom baseboard zone ( 30 ft of bigh output baseboard) as the overheat zone. Can i use pex to connect the system? How hot is the water when the electricity goes out and the water is gravity fed to this zone?

I am in the middle of figuring out my final plan for my dump zone too

everything I have read seems to recommend against using pex in the dump zone: here's why- when you rely only on the gravity flow, which is all you have in a power-off-gravity-fed dump zone, gravity's flow can be slower and more inconsistent than a pump's - and if you get a sudden extreme hot pocket or tiny bit of steam in a pocket in PEX, what might "blow over" in a metal pipe might "blow up" the PEX

I like PEX, but I would not use it in a gravity dump zone.

if you have some kind of backup power (like a computer "UPS") for your dump zone pump, as some people are doing, then that re-opens the idea of using PEX in a normal heating zone that will also be your dump zone

Status
Not open for further replies.