Overheating Lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mury

Jun 20, 2008
NH
Hey there. We've had a good winter with no problems till recently (3rd year with Lopi Leyden.) What it is doing is I hear one of the fans shut off, the fire goes lazy, then smoke starts filling the room. If I don't shut it off, it shuts off itself and the maintenance light indicates over heating. This is only happening when it runs on 5 or 6, the highest settings. I took the back panel off a couple of weeks ago and cleaned out all the dust bunnies, thought that fixed it, but it happened again today. Any thoughts? Thanks!
BTW, the OAK was disconnected last winter because it was pulling exhaust back into the stove and causing problems. (Weird wind tunnel we have between us and the neighbors)

Clean the exhaust path, van out all ash and clean thouroughly. The dust bunnies wont cause your stove to not work right... not cleaning out the exhaust path will..

Check the little brass fitting on the exhaust housing it might be plugged mine does. I check it about once every two weeks. I sometimes get the convection blower kick off then back on not sure what is causing that issue. but it seems to go away after I clean that fitting out.

The blower that is kicking off is the combustion blower from your description.

It is like a thermal shutdown due to a blocked vent that will cause the hot exhaust gases to eventually raise the temperature the high limit sees past its ouch shut me down point.

You need to completely clean the venting, and all of the stoves exhaust system, do not forget the vent termination cap, you'll also need a gasket for the combustion blower which should be removed and cleaned as part of cleaning the stoves exhaust system.

Thanks for the replies. I can check again, but we cleaned out everything, exhaust vent and all. I know most problems are dirty stove problems, I guess I'm just wondering if there might be anything else beyond that in this situation.

Mury said:
Thanks for the replies. I can check again, but we cleaned out everything, exhaust vent and all. I know most problems are dirty stove problems, I guess I'm just wondering if there might be anything else beyond that in this situation.

If you have a failing exhaust blower that could also result in the same thing (as could a certain failure mode in the controller) happening and we have no way of telling if in fact the stoves exhaust system from stem to stern is clean.

So we start with the 80% stuff first.

Status
Not open for further replies.