Overnight burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Why is it I always seemingly get really interesting burns going before I turn it.

The Heritage is jammed packed right now, dampered and the air shut all the way down sitting at about 595° with blue secondaries and the Encore seems to be locked in with a low, clean burn at 390°. Both of these burns I would like to be able to monitor throughout the progress of the burn. How long of a burn will I get out of each stove? Will both burn clean throughout the cycle? I only have three large splits in the Encore, how long will a low burn last me? Will the Heritage burn longer? Will it get choked down at some point due to the damper and air controls? How long does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know.

Wow - must be toasty! I've got relatives in Southampton...I didn't think that part of PA was cold enough to pack a stove yet.

It wasn't needed, but I had the perfect shaped splits to fill up the Heritage. The Encore only had three splits in it.

I think the Encore ended up with an incomplete burn based on the coals. Not sure. The Encore 8+ hours later was at 300°, while the Heritage sat at 150°. The Heritage had equal, if not more wood, in it and probably had a 2 hour shorter burn. Can't say for sure since I was asleep.

I would think you could do a little better than that with the Heritage? Was this with the pipe damper closed?

I have'nt burned both stoves together yet, just hasn't been cold enough. I've been burning the basement stove with 2 loads during the day then load her up full at night and cruise with a low cat burn. Usually after 9-10 hours the stove is down to 200 with plenty of coals to reload. I know I could go with 12 hour reload schedule with my better wood but I'm trying to get rid of some half punky Oak.

Todd said:
I would think you could do a little better than that with the Heritage? Was this with the pipe damper closed?

I have'nt burned both stoves together yet, just hasn't been cold enough. I've been burning the basement stove with 2 loads during the day then load her up full at night and cruise with a low cat burn. Usually after 9-10 hours the stove is down to 200 with plenty of coals to reload. I know I could go with 12 hour reload schedule with my better wood but I'm trying to get rid of some half punky Oak.

Damper was closed and the air controls closed as far as they will go. The stove top was at about 600 when I went to bed with a lot of secondaries.

I hear you on the monitoring multiple stoves. I'm trying to get a handle on my Englander, but with our weather being warm some days and cold others right now, the stove either doesn't get burned or when it does, I'm maxed out for doing something else.

The Keystone is geting the bulk of the workload right now and it's perfect. Last night, I packed it full, let it rip over a few hot coals from earlier in the day, dampered down after a bit, the stove top shot up to about 625 and stayed there for about an hour till I hit the sack - temp not going up or down from there. Lots of secondaries (I get tons of secondaries with my new SS cat vs the old ceramic one - don't know if it's the difference in materials or my wood is just better this year). The room where the Keystone is located when the lights are out looks like someone is taking flash pictures in there from the secondaries exploding off/on during a low burn.

This morning, the stove was 300 degrees, enough coals to reload and relight. That was a 9 hr burn overnight.

I'm thinking that Thanksgiving weekend, I'll spend some serious time with the Englander working my learning curve on that stove.

Good luck,
Bill

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

Damper was closed and the air controls closed as far as they will go. The stove top was at about 600 when I went to bed with a lot of secondaries.

Sounds like you have a pretty strong draft then. Maybe it's time to tinker with the EPA air slide stop?

Todd said:
Sounds like you have a pretty strong draft then. Maybe it's time to tinker with the EPA air slide stop?

Which is surprising since my setup isn't anything special. I even have two 45s before it enters the chimney which means I have two 45s and a 90. I guess I have about 21'-22' straight up from that point. You would think between having an install that is pretty standard along with a damper would correct any strong draft issues I might have.

I'm hesitant to tinker with the air controls at this point since I might be replacing it with a cat stove within the next season or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.