1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydestone

hydestone New Member

I have a Jotul 602 and it has a small firebox. I have to reload it a few times through the night. Does anyone have a tip for getting your wood to last longer overnight? I tried burning some crotches and unsplit logs. Other than that just dampering it down to make them last. Any suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Other than burning crotches and other large, gnarly pieces of wood, it's tough for me to suggest anything to extend burn time. (Other than damping it down of course)

Hopefully someone else can help
  3. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    602 is a great little stove, keyword is little
    Firebox is just too small for overnight burns
  4. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    You may have slightly better luck if you can split sides off of round logs to get square centers. Ideally, you would have the largest square possible to fit through the door, or be able to stack the smaller squares tightly. These would do slightly better than rounds. Using slightly wet wood and the densest / heaviest wood you have will help maximize the time, too. But nothing will work miracles if you are coming up several hours short every night.

Corey
  5. hydestone

hydestone New Member

Thanks guys.

I will give the square log thing a try for next season.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.