Overnight Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me an overnight burn is the same as a reload during the week . . . I pretty much do the same thing . . . the exception being that during the day my wife is either home (works nights) or is on her way home so I may not search around quite so hard for the really "good" wood -- "good" wood being defined by me as ash, sugar maple, etc. that is on the larger size . . .

Since you asked about size and overnight wood . . . for me having big wood is good . . . did I ever tell you my last name is Johnson (I won't even start to tell you about my Dad and Uncle's names . . . William (Little Willie Johnson) and Richard (Dick) Johnson? I tend to get big wood and stick it on top of some smaller wood when I'm doing the reload . . . the smaller wood catches and once it chars and the temps are in the green zone I cut back on the air until I have a sustained secondary combustion and the temps are good.

Ashes . . . I burn 24/7 and empty once a week on the weekend . . . it's part of the weekly ritual that I go through in cleaning in and around the stove . . . I'm fortunate as the Oslo has a good, decent sized ash pan that works well. Ashes are dumped every weekend into a 5-gallon covered metal pail . . . every month or so the cool ashes are dumped in the driveway, garden or in a hole out back in the woods.

Also matters how much bark is on the splits, as bark contains more ash-producing noncombustibles per unit volume than the interior wood of a tree, though this probably varies by species, too. Tree species with thick bark tend to make more ash because of this, and splits with no bark on them produce relatively little ash.

I sometimes get a load of 4x4 and 4x6 oak dropoffs from a company that makes large equipment pallets. Dense oak, zero bugs, and barkless. It makes VERY little ash compared to the same quantity of ordinary oak splits.

Kindling composed of little sticks actually makes a giant amount of ash for the volume of wood that it contains, since the surface area to volume ratio (and hence the bark to interior wood ratio) goes up as the diameter goes down.

fossil said:
Hardwood lasting more than four hours is a serious condition. Seek professional attention. :ahhh:
Very good! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.