OWB Chamber Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

10range

Dec 9, 2010
Northern Indiana
I have been a long time lurker in this forum but just joined today. Hope this isn't too bad for my first post but here goes.

After reading this forum and others, I am considering modifying my Outdoor Wood Boiler to promote more secondary burn in the chamber. My plan is to have a controller to divert part of the primary air supply to feed the secondaries once the chamber reaches an appropriate temperature. The current firebox is quite a bit larger than I feel it needs to be so this will allow me to build a small second chamber out of firebrick for the secondary burn.

Two things that I am looking for that I have not been able to find are some type of thermometer that I can place the probe in the chamber and have the readout on the out side of the stove. My understanding is that temps can reach 1500-2000 degrees f if everything works correctly. I have not be able to find anything that has working temps that high yet.

The second thing I am looking for is some type of controller or maybe a snap disk that will allow me to shift some of the air supply from the primary wood chamber to the secondary air supply.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thermometer for that range would be an engine turbo pyrometer. You would have to drill hole and weld in a threaded fitting and then screw in the probe and wire to gauge, most likely 12 or 24 volt. If you were doing other mods it might be worth the effort.
Stewart Warner makes one. Places like Summit racing or big diesel shops.
http://www.stewartwarner.com/products/Pyros.html
http://www.sw-performance.com/upload/B-806 113944 Pyrometer.pdf
If you want to know if you kicked into gasification that can be done when the ceramic, firebrick or whatever you will use as a liner turns cherry red and there is no smoke coming out of chimney.
There have been some old posts on changing liners, building gassers that might get you headed in the right direction too.

Status
Not open for further replies.