OWB in a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywoodchucker

Jan 8, 2012
western maine
I have a CB 5036 and want to build a wood shed around it and would like to hear from those that have done this. Pics and opinions are very welcome. I was fueling the boiler the other day and found the smoke was worse than usual and wondered how people deal with that. Any info would be great.

HehHeh . . . all I will say is that if you do this be careful . . . my Dad had an OWB and built a shed around in to a) keep the snow and rain off him while loading the boiler and b) to keep some wood dry . . . and he ended up burning down his house.

Well . . . I should back up and say the report said it was either electrical (he did his own work) or a hot ember or coal that came out and rested up against the woodshed. In either case, the woodshed caught on fire and then caught his house on fire that was right next to the OWB and woodshed. Personally . . . I suspect it was the hot ember or coal since he has done electrical work in the past and has had no issues.

Dang....

Well I was gonna say that I believe alot of people do this. If I had an OWB, I would want to build a shed around it. A man cave. Wood storage, splitting area, roof to keep it all dry and me too while loading it. Should be fine if the clearances and chimney are set up right (extended).

Perhaps some guys will post up some pic's for inspiration.

We drive by a set up someone has every day that looks good. They used a steel carport to cover it-the OWB sits to the back so the stack comes out just to the outside of the roof, then they have the wood stacked along the sides almost like walls. I imagine a stray ember could still make it over to the wood stacks, but the structure itself is steel.

That steel carport sounds slick. Nice set up.

You may want to post this over in the Boiler Room forum where there's nothing but OWB's. I'm sure most of them have a set up to talk about.

I suspect a mod will be along shortly to whisk this to the boiler room. Them plumber types over there are good peeps and I am sure will be able to flood you with info.

As far as a shed goes - thats the way I would be doing it. ;-)

I re-read my post and realized that it sounded kind of negative towards the idea . . . just wanted to say honestly I would have done the shed too . . . only I would have made sure of the clearances, made sure I had concrete footings before I went up with the walls (Dad just had a wood frame wall bolted on to a concrete slab so any ember that rolled on to the concrete pad would roll up against the wood) and I would be sure that the OWB and shed was a fair distance from the house (not three feet as he had it.)

eclecticcottage said:
We drive by a set up someone has every day that looks good. They used a steel carport to cover it-the OWB sits to the back so the stack comes out just to the outside of the roof, then they have the wood stacked along the sides almost like walls. I imagine a stray ember could still make it over to the wood stacks, but the structure itself is steel.

We have a neighbor who did this very same thing. Most of the boiler sits under the roof but the chimney (if you can call it that) is outside so there is no smoke problem. He built his with high sidewalls (I believe 8 or 9 feet high) and has room enough to drive a tractor inside if need be. This has worked out very well for him.

I have my wood boiler in a shed . It has worked out well. I will try to post pics tonight. My boiler door is outside and the rest is inside. I used metal for the roof and wood for the rest. I Also have my inverter and batteries in the wood shed. The size is 14 feet by 20 feet . It has about a 7-9 to the rafters above (due to the sloped ground). I use the upper part to store the outdoor stuff during the winter. The stove pipe comes about two feet above the ridge of the roof.

JSJAC, why would you not put the firebox door inside? By having that outdoors, you are still having to fill that thing when it is raining/snowing/sleeting but if that part was under cover it would make the chore a bit nicer.

I too have built a woodshed for my gassifier owb. the only thing I will note is that you will need a smoke hood fan setup of at least 1200 CFM to disperse the smoke. I did a wood shed along the lines of fred seton recommended building. Mine is 12 x 24 with 12 x 12 being dedicated to the boiler, and 12 x 12 being dedicated to wood storage under roof. Good set up if you want dry wood. The fan is absolutely necessary if you dont want to be a 50 pack a day smoker. Fire danger should be manageded with any wood burning appliance whether in a shed or outside.
T-Boy

The farmer up on the bottom of the mountain has a n OWB built inside a woodshed. He did have a fire one time in that shed due to having too short of a flue and never cleaning it out. Once he lengthened the flue a bit and kept an eye on the creosote he's never had a problem since. That said, my advice to you would be if you are going to put the OWB inside the shed, treat it more like a woodstove install. Maintain good clearances and treat the flue as you would if it were in your house...

JSJAC said:
I have my wood boiler in a shed . It has worked out well. I will try to post pics tonight. My boiler door is outside and the rest is inside. I used metal for the roof and wood for the rest. I Also have my inverter and batteries in the wood shed. The size is 14 feet by 20 feet . It has about a 7-9 to the rafters above (due to the sloped ground). I use the upper part to store the outdoor stuff during the winter. The stove pipe comes about two feet above the ridge of the roof.
I like the idea you have and I never thought about having the door outside. I may have to turn my boiler to get it where I want it but thats NBD.My concern was about the smoke and hot ambers and that will take care of both concerns. Got any pics?

woodywoodchucker said:
JSJAC said:
I like the idea you have and I never thought about having the door outside. I may have to turn my boiler to get it where I want it but thats NBD.My concern was about the smoke and hot ambers and that will take care of both concerns. Got any pics?

If your going to have a shed for it why would you want to stand in the rain, wind , and snow to load and clean it ?

I think I would build it with an overhang. Have the ridge run opposit of the ridge of the boiler.continue the ridge pole over the boiler and frame only the front half of the roof over the boiler door leaving the back open.That way the smoke could excape and I would be covered.Im glad I diddnt just run out and build one without the input from those on here.My thought was I would need a blower like the one mentioned but with this idea that wont be needed.
Im still excetping any ideas though.
woody

Yea thats better than standing in the rain. You could put a attick fan in the shed for about $80 then you could be totaly out
of the weather.

I've never had a owb. Just throwing some ideas out there. I have a indoor boiler in a shed.

When this OWB wears out I think Ill look at doing that.What is the effincey of the inside as compaered to the outside boiler?

How about a shed with a roof simiar to the roof of a "sugar shack" that is built so that the steam can escape up through it? It would look neat and fit right in around here.

The most efficient would be to have it in your house or heated shop, but I didn't want the mess in the house or have
a room for it. The insurance wouldn't let me put it in the shop. The main thing whether indoor or outdoor, for
efficiency go with a gasifacation model. They only burn dry wood ,but if you want efficiency you have to burn dry wood no matter what kind of boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.