OWB loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
how does everyone else do it little at a time ,all at once,tight paced or loosely thrown in what works best for you? Nate

During the work week I load mine basically every 12 hours. I leave for work around 3 pm and I don't get home until about 3 am, so I don't have a choce. Pretty much the same on the weekends. On the colder days, i load to the max. When it is 30 or above, i leave a bit of room in there because I don't need it to be filled to last that long.

I load mine around 6:00am go to work, throw a few pieces in around 4:30 pm when I get home and then fill for the night at 9:30pm. I don't fill mine plumb full. I would say about 3/4. I like to leave a little space between pieces. I seem to get a much better burn if the fire gets some air between the pieces of wood.

I have an eko-80 but before I had an OWB and I found that if you filled it it would burn it. I got alot better use of my wood if I filled just enough for an 8to10 hr burn and if I was around I might just through in some for 3 or 4hr. I used alot less wood with less smoke. When you throw in a large amount of wood you cool the box way down and it will kick on and burn for a short time and then turn off. Then you have a box full of wood drying out cooling the gasses and creating creasote. If you can put just enough in so it burns hot enough the first time to dry the wood you will burn clean. An by drying the wood I mean all wood even seasoned wood has a considerable amount of miosture.
leaddog

Central Boiler 6048, I load anytime after super. If it's going to be -20 or so I pretty much fill it but most days calls for just under half full.

Status
Not open for further replies.