OWB - local article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this mornings paper http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/07/conewago_township_considers_re.html

Conewago Township considers regulating outdoor wood furnaces

Published: Sunday, July 18, 2010, 9:25 PM Updated: Sunday, July 18, 2010, 9:28 PM
BARBARA MILLER, The Patriot-News

Outdoor wood furnaces might be regulated as they are in some other midstate places, the township supervisors said Wednesday.

Joel Buckley, chairman of the supervisors, said he was asked by someone moving into the township if the furnaces are allowed, and said he knows of four in the township. Buckley said they might not be a problem on a farm but might cause problems in a development.

“The biggest problem you get even in rural situations is all the smoke,” said Max Shradley, township engineer.

The furnaces burn wood at low temperatures in a shed-like structure, heating water that is piped into a home for heating and hot water.

The township engineer and solicitor were asked to research other municipal ordinances. In spring, Londonderry Twp. banned them temporarily until rules are adopted this fall. In Lebanon County, Cornwall bans them, and North Londonderry and South Lebanon townships limit their location. In Cumberland County, Mount Holly Springs limits their use to Sept. 1 through May 31, and requires them to be at least 500 feet from the nearest home.

There is one place a mile from me that was grandfathered in having an OWB and especially now with the hazy hot and humid you can really smell it along I-81. It's amazing to me the difference in the amount of smoke smell. During the winter on my many trips outside to check my emissions; if the weather is right I get a slight smell of wood smoke that's pleasant. The OWB with the heavy smoke is just nasty smelling IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.