OWB selection Central Boiler E-Classic 2300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the CB E Classic has a 450 Gallon water capacity. Is that high compared to traditional OWBs?
Never mind, I just found the specs on similar sized units.

If you are on the fence between a owb and a gasifier, Empyre in Canada has come out with a owb based on gasifier technology. It can be placed outside like any owb or in any building. I've heard that the emissions from the stack are lower than even the Greenwood and that Greenwood has bought the patent for that stove. It is called the Empyre Clean Burn (ECB) I recently saw it operating at a trade show, and there was barely a hint of smoke coming from the chimney. I think their web address is www.profab.org Last time I checked, there wasn't much on the ECB on the site as I was told that Greenwood would post the updated info on their website.

At the cost of these things - this will indeed be the last purchase. But as I rationalized it to my wife, wood boilers are a major investment and you need to be happy with the product because you will have it for a long time. I used the same line when I got my pickup :)

Pete

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Pete:
My hat's off to a guy that can buy a new wood fired hydronic every year.

When I pulled my pipe apart for cleaning last month (first time since October 2007) I found very little creosote. I found considerable ash still in the unit, right below the pipe opening. Honestly, I just reached in a removed it handful at a time, but if I'd had the time, I would have taken the ShopVac to it.

I think storage (maybe even a buffer tank) would make it easier to run clean, but, IN THEORY, if you size the unit properly, then load properly, idleing should be minimized. And when the damper opens, what little creosote has accumulated should burn off.

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.