P-61A not feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
A friend of mine has a P-61A that she dropped a figurine in when she was filling it. She removed it but didn't know that the head broke off. When she came home the stove was off and she says the auger won't feed, the head got jammed in the auger. She removed it and called her dealer and he says the stove needs to be rebuilt. I have a Quad AE that I do all my own work on and I know the auger is easy to replace on it, but how hard is it to replace on the P-61? I am assuming without looking at it that it would just need the auger motor. Is this a job I could tackle for her? Thanks in advance for the help.

tsmith said:
A friend of mine has a P-61A that she dropped a figurine in when she was filling it. She removed it but didn't know that the head broke off. When she came home the stove was off and she says the auger won't feed, the head got jammed in the auger. She removed it and called her dealer and he says the stove needs to be rebuilt. I have a Quad AE that I do all my own work on and I know the auger is easy to replace on it, but how hard is it to replace on the P-61? I am assuming without looking at it that it would just need the auger motor. Is this a job I could tackle for her? Thanks in advance for the help.

heck, might not even need an auger motor.....its not hard to remove the auger......have to disocnnect the auger motor, take out the two auger retainer bolts, and usually have to drive the auger our the rear from the front (use a havey dowel and a mallet to do so).........now, not saying that for some other reason the stove does not need to be rebuilt, but my first thing would be to pull the auger out, remove the head, and put that same auger right back in (make sure you RTV the bearing in the feeder to seal it). Pull the auger, fish out the figuring head, replace the auger? An hour.

from what i understand, she has already removed the piece that was stuck in it but the auger don't turn, so I am figuring the motor may have burned out depending on how long she had it in there that it was trying to feed and couldn't. She said the dealer came out and removed a couple scoops of pellets from the hopper, didn't empty it and then just said it had to be rebuilt, he didn't even try to turn the auger or look at anything with the motor.

I guess then, i would suggest powering the augermotor independently and seeing if it is, in fact, shot.....usually, it wont be with a jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.