P23I Breckwell Insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfive31

Sep 24, 2008
Central, CT
Wanted to get some advice on the connections on the back of the stove and if they should have 3 screws at each connection?
Right now I have the 3 inch adaptor connecting to the back of the stove flue outlet then I have the 3 - 4 inch T connected to the adapter and then a 4 inch adapter connecting to the 4 inch flex pipe. All connections have been sealed with heat rated silicone and I also have used some type of circular dryer connector that can be tightened with a screw driver. I did put 3 screws in at the top of the T to connect to the 4 inch adapter.
I need to get this inspected by the building department so I would like to get it right before they come and check it out.
Also is a blanking plate necessary to put in the throat of the chimney, right now I have some aluminum backing insulation shoved in between the spaces and the flex pipe.
Thanks in advance.

fabfive31 said:
Wanted to get some advice on the connections on the back of the stove and if they should have 3 screws at each connection?
Right now I have the 3 inch adaptor connecting to the back of the stove flue outlet then I have the 3 - 4 inch T connected to the adapter and then a 4 inch adapter connecting to the 4 inch flex pipe. All connections have been sealed with heat rated silicone and I also have used some type of circular dryer connector that can be tightened with a screw driver. I did put 3 screws in at the top of the T to connect to the 4 inch adapter.
I need to get this inspected by the building department so I would like to get it right before they come and check it out.
Also is a blanking plate necessary to put in the throat of the chimney, right now I have some aluminum backing insulation shoved in between the spaces and the flex pipe.
Thanks in advance.
Depends on what kind of venting pipe you used. If it's DuraVent Pro, then the answer is no, you don't need to screw all the sections together - that's what the twistlock construction is for. The exception is the appliance adapter to stove connection where you do want to silicone & screw that connection. The dryer connector is superfluous.

Yes you probably need a blocking plate in the chimney - it shouldn't take more than an hour to measure, cut, bend, and install one. There's a sticky post on the forum with instructions on how to make one. Your stove's instructions should say whether it is needed. Your inspector will tend to use the manual to tell him whether your setup is correct - he's counting on the stove company's testing/certification process with NFPA or UL to define what's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.