P35i 6 blink status, auger removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike49024

Nov 6, 2010
SW Michigan
I've been doing some experimenting with different types of pellets in my 2 month old Harman P35I.

I bought some Pennywise from Menards. I noticed when I was filling the hopper there was a lot of fines and dust. On the first bag, I got my first ever 6 status blink and the stove shut down. Opening the lid, moving the pellets around and cycling power on the stove and it comes back on and runs.

The 6 blink status continues to happen now, for about the past week. Sometimes it will run an hour before it shuts down, sometimes a day. I let the hopper empty, and throughly cleaned the firebox and hopper area.

I've went back to my orginal Pro-pellets (that I've never had the 6 blink problem with), but I continue to get the 6 blink.

I'm thinking maybe there is dust that is jamming up the feed auger? If I pull the feed motor off, can I pull out the auger and give the feed tube a good cleaning?

FYI. The flame has been low since this has been happening. Even with the feedrate and temperature turned all the way up.

Any other thoughts?

Also, I don't think this is a intake/exhuast/combustion air problem, because if the flame is low for a long period of time (with the stove cranked up like I mentioned) and I throw a handful of pellets in there and close the door the fire roars up like it used to.

Mike49024 said:
I've been doing some experimenting with different types of pellets in my 2 month old Harman P35I.

I bought some Pennywise from Menards. I noticed when I was filling the hopper there was a lot of fines and dust. On the first bag, I got my first ever 6 status blink and the stove shut down. Opening the lid, moving the pellets around and cycling power on the stove and it comes back on and runs.

The 6 blink status continues to happen now, for about the past week. Sometimes it will run an hour before it shuts down, sometimes a day. I let the hopper empty, and throughly cleaned the firebox and hopper area.

I've went back to my orginal Pro-pellets (that I've never had the 6 blink problem with), but I continue to get the 6 blink.

I'm thinking maybe there is dust that is jamming up the feed auger? If I pull the feed motor off, can I pull out the auger and give the feed tube a good cleaning?

FYI. The flame has been low since this has been happening. Even with the feedrate and temperature turned all the way up.

Any other thoughts?

Also, I don't think this is a intake/exhuast/combustion air problem, because if the flame is low for a long period of time (with the stove cranked up like I mentioned) and I throw a handful of pellets in there and close the door the fire roars up like it used to.

Fines box needs to be emptied, look in your manual for the P35 I only know how to do it for the XXV. should be as simple as a wing nut and a vacuum.

Try cleaning your (ESP Probe) Exhaust Sensing probe,same thing happens to mine.
It must be cleaned every so offend to read accurately.

The ESP is a tiny thermistor located in the exhaust stream. The probe changes it’s thermal resistance based on minute changes in temperature, which is monitored by the circuit board and used to determine the need for changes in the burn rate to meet the temperature demand.â€

As you can see from the above quote from the manual this probe responds to minute changes in temperature, so if it is dirty it will not respond to these changes very well. I plan to clean the ESP probe in my stove after burning each ton while I am cleaning the exhaust chamber and paddle fan. At the very least, I would clean it at the end of each season.

I have the Harman P35i insert and it shows how to remove it and clean it in the manual. It is as simple as removing a screw, pulling the probe out and wiping it clean with a soft cloth and some glass cleaner or some rubbing alcohol. Mine can’t be seen from inside the stove, as it is fairly high in the exhaust path (see pic). Since mine is an insert I need to pull the stove out of the fireplace opening to access it.

Attachments

• ESP_Probe.jpg
    ESP_Probe.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 425
Thanks for the responses. I did try both of those things yesterday and did not have any changes in performance. The fines collector was really bad and did need to be cleaned however.

After callig my dealer and describin the problem, they said they have had these similar symptoms on other p35i. It turns out that opening and closing the hopper lid can push the gasket nearest to the hinge down into the heat exchanger area. When this happens the stove cannot hold a good vacuum and causes low flame/low feeding.

After pulling the gasket out and reglueing it, the stove runs like a champ again. So p35i owners probably want to check that front gasket on the hopper lid.

Happy burning all!

Reactions: Jackspappy
Status
Not open for further replies.