P35i hum troubleshooting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

netmechdb

Dec 29, 2010
Central Ma
p35i

Hello everyone- I have a old P35i wiht the "hum" sydrome. I bypassed the vaccum switch, repalced the Hopper gasket, rand the dollar bill test.

I have given it good celanings every ton of pellets. and it's lasted quite a while.

I cleaned the d Exhaust Sensing Probe (ESP) and it started right up.
I let it run down and turn off. it cooled down
then it went back to humming.

The vac switch was the first think I've replaced. The stove is over 10 years old.
I do plan on changing the exhaust probe, (any supplier recomendations?)

My question is,
1. is there a decent way to troubleshoot the this issue? cleaning and replacing parts is the current path I am on,but
have yet to find a walkthrough of the system to ide in mtroubleshooting. I have a VOM.

2. is there some sort of deep clean mainteance you'd recommend.
thank you in advance,

Don

Any chance you could post a video? Humming could be a number of things, dirt or worn motor or fan blades contacting the housings

Hi Washed-Up- Thank you for the question.

After writing this questions, I went to remove pellets form teh hopper (40#) and for grins, I turned it on and.....it started.

I let it run down. added some more pellets and attempted to restart,.
No luck, only 5 blinks (maybe ESP probe/control board..._)

Regardless- I am going to pull it out and do a deep clean. then start fresh. I feel I might be chasing
gremlins until I go through it.

While I am have it apart, I will bench test the motor.

Thank you,

Ill update when I get to it.

Don

Reactions: Washed-Up
I let it run down. added some more pellets and attempted to restart,.
No luck, only 5 blinks (maybe ESP probe/control board..._)
From your manual
Never attempt to manually light a stove or insert that has been operated recently and is not at room temperature. If automatic ignition was attempted, be sure to give the stove or insert at least 30 minutes or longer to cool to room temperature.

Page 38 of the manual

Reactions: Washed-Up