P43 igniter/feed motor issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
No good deed goes unpunished. A little early for the first fire of the season, but it is awfully gloomy out there and I thought my wife would be happy to step into a warmer house when she gets home. Initially, when I got the stove going, the auger was pushing pellets into the burn pot. I'm assuming the igniter engaged as well, but didn't look to make sure. I stepped away for a few minutes and when I returned, the auger was no longer pushing and the igniter light was not on. Only way to shut down is to unplug. I've tried a number of times with no luck. The auger seems to be free - it moves slightly back and forth when I push it with the scraper. Any thoughts or threads out there I can dig into? Thanks!

Have you run the self test?

Run the test feature to see if pellets have fed-are continuing to feed. More than one stove every start of the new season will have a few swelled pellets or other things stuck in the flights and stop flow of pellets. I always try to baby sit the stove for the first fire and ten minutes or more

I have. With the power off, I turn it to "test."

Both the distribution and combustion blowers light up.

The feed and igniter lights do not.

The power light is on, the status light is not.

I'm wondering if the vacuum seal is broken somewhere or not registering. I did the deep clean over the summer and have had a DampRid container in the burn chamber all summer. This is our 6th season with the stove and have not had an issue, other than an occasional lazy flame or slow start.

Run the test feature to see if pellets have fed-are continuing to feed. More than one stove every start of the new season will have a few swelled pellets or other things stuck in the flights and stop flow of pellets. I always try to baby sit the stove for the first fire and ten minutes or more

I ran the stove dry on the last burn, then vacuumed out the dust when I deep cleaned. Cleared the fines pot, too.

Lazy flame and slow starts are indicators of several factors. Bad seal gaskets are a good start. I have found that the standard non graphite ones usually go bad around 4 years. For a quick temporary fix try plumping the gasket by carefully squeezing with a plier.

With the stove in test mode with the exhaust fan running one can play a flame around the door frame to see where the leaks are as the flame will suck in. A long nosed grill igniter works well

I just double checked the fines box and the cover must not have been put back together correctly. All is working!!