P61 room temp issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snikr

Hearth Supporter
Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
My daughter has a older Harman P61 and is having trouble when running in room temp. When she sets it to room temp the stove just idles down and does NOT through much heat. It seems to work good in stove temp. She has changed out the room temp cable and that did not fix the problem. Could her control panel be going? Or is there something else that could be causing this problem?

Sound like the stove is up to temp and doing what it should do. What temp is the room? What temp is the stove set for? Is it in auto or manual? In manual fire will keep going, but not much heat. Try turning it up.

Reactions: jackman
Also you need to set it about 5° hotter than you actually want the room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I forgot this part of the story. She shut the stove down to clean it, started it back up in stove temp mode. After it started she then turned it to room temp mode, had the temp set at 75 (which was higher than the temp of the room) and it STILL went down to "idle". She has the old P61 without an igniter so there is no auto or manual switch. She has even tried room temp mode during our cold snap (below zero temps over night) and the stove will not keep the room up to temp.

its possible the potentiometer could be bad

Check the wiring from the plug on the back(where room sensor plugs in),to the control board.If they are OK,then really good chance you need a control board.

Check the wiring from the plug on the back(where room sensor plugs in),to the control board.If they are OK,then really good chance you need a control board.
That's kind of what I figured it would be. But will check and make sure all wires are plugged in.

Reactions: Mt Bob
That's kind of what I figured it would be. But will check and make sure all wires are plugged in.
If seems like you need a board,for about 600? bucks,you can add an igniter,newer control board,and make that stove a fully self igniter,thermostat controlled P61A,About 2 hours of work,none of it hard.(my prices might be a bit off,check first)

If seems like you need a board,for about 600? bucks,you can add an igniter,newer control board,and make that stove a fully self igniter,thermostat controlled P61A,About 2 hours of work,none of it hard.(my prices might be a bit off,check first)
I'll talk to my daughter about that.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I was wondering if just maybe her ESP (Exhaust Sensing Probe) might be bad?? She has had the 3 blink error a couple of times in past years, but a reset solved the blink error (I hope).

It very well could be the ESP. Try cleaning it first but that can be the issue also.

A dirty stove,and/or partially restricted flue can do it,also,as the air does not move across the ESP properly.

While a new board might be in order, I'd start with a good cleaning and then a replacement esp.

I have to replace mine every couple of years.

When it goes bad it can cause the stove to run pretty wonky.

While a new board might be in order, I'd start with a good cleaning and then a replacement esp.

I have to replace mine every couple of years.

When it goes bad it can cause the stove to run pretty wonky.
That sounds like what Iwe might try with the stove. Start with the cheaper parts first.

Just a follow up to this issue. After a good cleaning, replacing the ESP and the Room Temp wire nothing helped. Finally the P61 even went into idle mode when on stove temp. After checking a couple more things we replaced the circuit board and PROBLEM SOLVED! And the Harman dealer in our area (The Stove Depot in Vermont) was SUPER HELPFUL. Told us what to check before we replaced the board and luckly had the board in stock. Good way to spend Friday the 13th.

Reactions: rickwai and Tonyray