P61A noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Just starting to notice a banging/crunching noise once in a while only when the auger is feeding pellets. I thought at first it was longer pellets but the current bag (Green Supreme) don't seem too long. What else could it be? Is the auger motor connected to the auger by a chain? Is there something else that could be causing the noise? Stove was installed this fall and I am on my 6th bag now.

occasional, random noise is probably nothing to worry about (grinding/chopping a pellet) but a repeated, very frequent noise, could be something. The feeder body has a gate in it (a the bottom of the hopper) called the "slide plate". A foreign object can cause resistence in there and lead to some noise from the auger. The feeder body also has a sawdust storage compartement called the "fines box" that , if it gets full, will put pressure on the auger motor. If you've only put 6 bags through the unit, it is unlikely that your fines box should be full, but if you've noted an abundence of sawdust when loading the stove, it could be. You access the box from the rear, just to the left of the auger motor...single wing nut holds the access door onto the feeder body.

mepellet said:
Just starting to notice a banging/crunching noise once in a while only when the auger is feeding pellets. I thought at first it was longer pellets but the current bag (Green Supreme) don't seem too long. What else could it be? Is the auger motor connected to the auger by a chain? Is there something else that could be causing the noise? Stove was installed this fall and I am on my 6th bag now.

VERY interesting. My stove makes the same EXACT noise with Green Supremes. The only other pellet so far that has made this noise were Barefoots. All other pellets I have used don't make that crunch, bang noise. I plan on avoiding these pellets because the noise irritates me. Plus it just doesn't sound like it's helping the stove any.

PJPellet said:
mepellet said:

VERY interesting. My stove makes the same EXACT noise with Green Supremes. The only other pellet so far that has made this noise were Barefoots. All other pellets I have used don't make that crunch, bang noise. I plan on avoiding these pellets because the noise irritates me. Plus it just doesn't sound like it's helping the stove any.

I think the Green Supremes might just be a denser pellet? The Stove Chow made some crunching noise but nothing as loud as these Green Supremes. The NEWP that the installer brought and put in the hopper didn't make any noise. I thought that the Green Supreme was the same as NEWP?

mepellet said:
PJPellet said:
mepellet said:

I think the Green Supremes might just be a denser pellet? The Stove Chow made some crunching noise but nothing as loud as these Green Supremes. The NEWP that the installer brought and put in the hopper didn't make any noise. I thought that the Green Supreme was the same as NEWP?

Me too. Last season I burned Clear Choice which are also made by NEWP and they burned great with zero noise. I asked Jay about this in another thread and he said that they are all made by NEWP but at different locations so that explained the difference in pellets. I just bought two bags of NEWPs tonight to try in my P43. I love the way the Green Supremes burn but I don't like the noise. My dealer cannot get Clear Choice any longer so that's why I am going to try the NEWPs. Your good experience with NEWP sounds good for me! If I find any other brands that make noise I will let you know for your information. Our stoves are similar enough that they seem to have the same characteristics.

PJPellet said:
mepellet said:
PJPellet said:
mepellet said:

Me too. Last season I burned Clear Choice which are also made by NEWP and they burned great with zero noise. I asked Jay about this in another thread and he said that they are all made by NEWP but at different locations so that explained the difference in pellets. I just bought two bags of NEWPs tonight to try in my P43. I love the way the Green Supremes burn but I don't like the noise. My dealer cannot get Clear Choice any longer so that's why I am going to try the NEWPs. Your good experience with NEWP sounds good for me! If I find any other brands that make noise I will let you know for your information. Our stoves are similar enough that they seem to have the same characteristics.

Yes our stoves are VERY similar. ;) I just opened a Greene Team bag to put in the hopper when the Green Supreme runs out in there now. I was going to buy more Green Supreme at Lowes but glad I decided not to. I'll probably get some more Maine's Choice instead. I agree, the noise even though is common can't be doing any good on the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.