Pacific Energy lower cord routing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdmsurfguy

Nov 16, 2014
Oregon
So I'm about ready to install my Pacific Energy Vista insert into my fireplace (once my brick guy is done). Here's my question. The blower unit cord on the insert comes out on the front side of the blower/fireplace (either right or left). Like this one (not my house):
Pacific Energy lower cord routing

I installed an electrical plug behind the back of my fireplace so I could have it plugged-in behind the insert so it was hidden. I can't seem to find a place to do this on my insert. There looks like there a cold air inlet channeling underneath the fireplace but it looks like it might get some heat and burn through the electrical cord. I also assumed that every exterior portion of the insert besides the front were shielded from heat? Please tell me if I'm screwed or there's another option? Thanks

If it is like the Summit, there is channeling under the insert, and you should be able to route the cord underneath the insert. You may have to cut a hole in the back casing to pass the cord through(protect the cord with a rubber grommet or similar). Under the insert should be fine, as I don't think it gets that hot underneath, but if issue may be if the outlet is higher then the lower part of the insert channeling, but everything else on sides & behind the insert will be hot. The only way I would do it if it had to be back there is out the outlet on the bottom of the old firebox.
There is a casing around the sides, back and top, but it still gets hot in the fireplace cavity. Having the outlet and plug running behind the insert will make it inaccessible unless you pull the insert out. Not real good if you need to unplug it for any reason while the firebox is full and blazing away. You may want to rethink your outlet placement.

How would the cord get through the back of the fireplace to the outlet?

I believe code says that there must be a way to disconnect the appliance for service. If so the outlet should have a switch on the stove side.

So I can disconnect the power to the unit by throwing the breaker in my electrical panel, I could also place a switch in my basement where I routed the power if need be; there is also an on/off switch on the blower to turn it off. I'm a really big fan of things being clean and neat and really don't want to have to have a cord running around the front of my new brick mantle over to and outlet. I'll take a picture of the fireplace tomorrow when I get off of work to show you where I was thinking of routing the cord. The outlet I installed runs from my unfinished basement up through the old unused ash clean-out into the back of the fireplace where it's in a single outlet box. Thanks for your help fellas

I think the disconnect has to be in the same area as the appliance for service purposes but check with your dealer and an electrician.

Close off the ash dump and install the outlet there on the bottom of the old fireplace firebox.

I've already installed the outlet in the ash box in the back of the old fireplace firebox, that's not the problem. My issue is running the cord there without it being seen from the front of the fireplace. That's why I wanted to know if I could run it through the channel that's on the bottom of the insert (I think it 's the rear/cold air intake). But I wasn't sure if that spot get too hot and will burn the blower cord.

Guess you'll find out, good luck.
I don't even notice my cord anymore.

I've been gone for vacation so now that I'm back it's time to get the insert in. I took a couple of pictures of the insert to see if you guys could help me figure out how I should route my blower power cord. Let me remind anyone of what I want to do; I want to route my Pacific Energy Vista Insert blower power cord out the back of the insert (so you can't see it from the front of the insert/fireplace), I've placed the 110V electrical outlet in the back of the old firebox.

I think the two options I have are routing the power cord through the cold air intake, but I'm not sure of the amount of heat produced from this channel? Image-2 is the cold air rear inlet.

The other option I have is to run the power cord through one of these two channel under the insert and just use a pair of tin snips to cut the piece if sheet metal on the back (hard to see in the picture).

Attachments

• Pacific Energy lower cord routing
    coldairintake.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Pacific Energy lower cord routing
    bottomchannels.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 175
Are you sure your wire and the outlet are rated for the temps you will get in the fireplace? Max temp for standard wiring is usually 194 F and that should not be reached on a regular basis. The back of my fireplace often reaches 130 to 140 F on the outside. I assume the temps inside the fireplace cavity are higher, not to mention the radiant heat given off by the insert. I would at least contact PE to see what they think of your idea and if they have a good suggestion how to route the cable underneath the insert.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Any update? I'm in the same boat. Looking for the clean look without the wire. I think I would try routing it through the cold air intake although I would check with PE or dealer like Grisu mentioned.. I would also consider running it in metallic cable to further insulate it from the heat. I tried routing mine along the sides of the fireplace as far away from the insert as possible to the outlet and had no such luck, even tried to put roxul insulation between the cord and the insert. I may try TGGT wire that is rated for 492 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://www.awcwire.com/producttoc.aspx?id=tggt-wire

My insert sits directly on the fireplace floor so I didn't have the option of using the underside of the insert.

What happened when you ran it along the side? Did it fry the wire?

What happened when you ran it along the side? Did it fry the wire?

Unfortunately, yes. I think as we were pushing the insert into place the cord shifted and made contact with the side of the stove. :mad:

that sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.