Pacific Energy Neo 1.6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I only use the blower to get the smoke out for a couple minutes on a start up. Not running constant. That would be way too hot.
Still a bad idea to do forced combustion on a stove never designed for it. You are putting way more air and therefore way more heat in one area of the stove this leads to uneven stresses and cracking. And what happens if you forget to turn it off one day?

What would you recommend for my issue?
I have very little background on your issue so i cant give great advice but preheating the chimney is the first thing to try. Then look at pressure in the house. How dry is your wood and lots of other possibilities.

Fair enough, thanks for your input.
Any thoughts on the electric chimney preheaters you install in the pipe just above the stove?
The preheaters are fine. The fans are not good. Can you tell us about the whole system from where the stove is located type of connector pipe and its configuration type and height of chimney etc.

Ok.
Starting at the stove...double wall black pipe, 30 inches straight up, 45 deg elbow, 18 inches straight, 45 deg elbow into Selkirk Ultimate One through the wall tee then straight up 18 feet(outside) where chimney cap is 7 feet above the roof and 3 feet above 10 feet away at highest point on the roof. Our house has 5 levels each 7 stairs apart from the next level. The stove is located on the second level which is ground level at the rear of the house.
I currently start my fires with very dry poplar then migrate to oak and ash which are both seasoned two years. The stove likes to run in the 250 to 350 deg F range with very little smoke. The inside of the stove gets dark on startup but burns off about 15-20 min later once the stove is heated up and stable. This stove likes to push smoke out if the door is open or opened with anything but just coals remaining. I therefore start it up door closed and wide open air.