Pacific Energy Summit or Regency F3100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mogasse

Sep 29, 2015
Carillon, Qc, Canada
Hi everybody, new guy here, although I don't feel much like it since i've passed most of two last week's night reading the forum, learning, making decisions and then changing it. Anyways, love what's going on here, you guys know your heat and i'm thankful for it.

BUT. Here's my situation. My wife and I are moving in our very first house in a month. The current owner wants to leave with his stove, a WW2 tank wich has seen him feed around 600 cords in the last century. It's a love thing. Good for him.

The house is 2300 sf, two stories plus a basement where sits the stove. Isolation seems pretty neat, and the current owner never even used a blower. I was wondering if I really needed a large stove and found out that I should go for one, after the local dealer came by the house to see what should be best. I like him.

So I'm down for a 3 cf box, just wondering if I should go for the Summit or the 3100. I've read lots of reviews, and as soon as I made up my mind, I read something that makes me go the other way.

I think I like the Summit better, when I look at the specs and everything (even though I learned from you guys to be careful with that literature), all in all, this one seems hotter, cleaner and easier of use. Am I right?

Just wondering if the Summit is really worth the extra bucks (2400, pedestal, no bling). I don't have the price for the Regency yet, but I figure around 500$ cheaper, maybe more.

I'm new to real wood burning. We already got a cabin with a stove (can't figure what it is) that's a bit too big for the place. Can't run it for good without opening the door and go have a walk naked in the snow. But we usually go over there for 2-3 nights.

So, i'm pretty excited about that new stove to be. I just don't want to be disappointed, be sure to make the right choice. I want clean burning, efficiency, and something simple. And I got a girl that can really feel the cold, so I have to be a good man.

The chimney is pretty tall, 7'', so I should have a reducer, which seems not to worry the dealer. As for the wood, I got 7 cords of dry "I don't know what yet" coming with the house. I plan on ordering some more, but i'm not there yet.

Looking forward to your advices, thanks a lot.

(and i'm french-speaking, learned my english with rock'n' roll, sorry if there's some funny english up-there :)

Welcome. Both are good heaters. The Summit has some additional features to extend the burn and make servicing more convenient. The other advantage of the Summit is that it will draft ok with a shorter chimney. If the concern is price there are other Canadian stoves to consider. SBI (Quebec) makes a value line - Drolet which has some good performing 3 cu ft stoves in the Legend II and the HT2000. Their mainstream 3 cu ft line is the Osburn 2400 which has many happy owners. Also from Quebec is the Napoleon 1900. This last stove will definitely want a decent chimney to draft properly.

For safety and performance it's very likely that the chimney will need improvement too. Often these old stove setups connected to a large tile lined chimney. A modern stove will need a 6" flue. And last but equally important is the wood supply. Stoves require dry wood to burn correctly. It is very hard to get fully seasoned wood, especially at this time of year. You may be able to find kiln dried wood.

Last edited:
That's good news. Be sure to have it cleaned first. This should work with a 6" x 7" reducer. That is easy with single wall stove pipe if there is adequate clearance and the run is short. How tall is the chimney?

That's good news. Be sure to have it cleaned first. This should work with a 6" x 7" reducer. That is easy with single wall stove pipe if there is adequate clearance and the run is short. How tall is the chimney?

Dont' know exactly, but i'd say about 25 feet.

That stands a good chance at working ok.

Thanks a lot. And now i've got the Osburn thrown in the battle, i do think. Local dealer has them too.

Nobody said this was going to be easy.

Last edited:
Bonjour,mogasse est bienvenue.i know the drolets are good my neibour has one burns very well ,from what i've read on the pacific energy it is a very well built stove make sure your wood is dry pas semi-sec it makes a huge difference in your burns good luck

Last edited:
All of those stoves are good stoves. SBI are made in St Augustin, near Quebec City. Je suis très content de la performance de ma 2300. It heats well, the secondaries work well and the huge glass is great.

Andrew

I'd go with the summit, I have his little brother and I was looking at all the same stoves you were looking at and some others. But any route you go I'm sure you'll be happy, nothing better then wood heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.