PACIFIC ENERGY SUPER INSERT--SURFACE TEMP. RISE AND FALL QUICKLY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again. I posted previously about "unburnt wood" issue. I have since used "known-seasoned" hardwoods measured with different moisture meters in our new insert. I also installed a magnetic surface thermometer on the face of the insert just above the door close to the top hinge.

After 5 days of closely monitoring and recording the surface temps., I see the temperatures usually peak at 600* within a hour of starting or reloading (adjusting air incrementally) and gradually fall to 250*-275* within two to five hours after peak. Does this sound typical? The outside temperature was in the upper 30*s , then upper 20*'s, then low 20*'s during my readings. Today we have a high of 15* so far. Fortunately, the inside temp. is now at 70* thanks to our insert.

I am wondering if our insert is cooling down too quickly in the brick fireplace opening. We have an exterior chimney facing North and our insert was installed the with an insulated 6" flex liner up to the rain cap. A block off plate was not installed so I am wondering if a block off plate would help keep the temperatures from falling so quickly. It sounds like it could certainly not hurt to have one installed, but could it "really help" in this situation?

A 2 hr drop to the lower temp seems abrupt unless it was with a partial load of wood. 5 hrs, possible. An insulated block off plate should help retain more of the heat where you want it, surrounding the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.