Pacific Summit or Alderlea T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
Looking for advice or information on a Pacific Energy Summit, Summit Classic, or Alderlea T6. We are planning to buy one of the three, and, other than the cosmetics, are uncertian of the functional differences. It appears that all three have the same internal workings so it seems there shouldn't be much of a difference. The local dealer only had a summit on display.

Thanks
Chris

The only difference between the 3 is the outside. The firebox & baffle are the same, and all 3 have EBT.
The Alderlea is said ti give a gentler heat.

yep the Summit is a plain Jane steel stove

The classic is an enameled steel stove

The T-6 is a steel stove in a cast jacket.

The biggest difference is cosmetic. the T-6 does have about an extra 100 lbs so it does take longer to heat all that mass up and it takes longer to cool that mass down.

bokehman said:
crazy_dan said:
the T-6 does have about an extra 100 lbs so it does take longer to heat all that mass up and it takes longer to cool that mass down.
100 lb of steel @ 600F = about 0.5 lb of wood.

I said it took longer I did not say how much longer :)
You cant do a math equation for feel as most of the people who have the t-6 say it is a gentle heat.

crazy_dan said:
You cant do a math equation for feel as most of the people who have the t-6 say it is a gentle heat.
With smooth steel panels the heat output is focused into a beam perpendicular to each panel. The matt finish of the cast iron acts like a diffuser in front of a spot lamp defocusing that beam.

ZZyk, there has been a lot of talk on this board about how difficult the T6 is to get in your part of the country right now. You might check availability of these three PE stoves to help drive your decision, if you are hoping to install it anytime soon. Is that Summit display model available for sale? It is possibly your only immediate option, if supply is as tight as we keep hearing.

just messing with ya brokehman.

but all three stoves have a floating fire box and all have a jacket just what the jacket is is the difference.

I think you would be happy with any one of the three.

I like the summit and T6 and noticed only a very small price difference between them. Because of this, I would very much recommend the T6 over the summit since the extra mass will serve to extend your burn times. Mass is good on a 24/7 burner.

If you like all the colors then maybe you'll like the summit better.

We picked the T6 because we will be sitting pretty close to it while it burns. My neighbour has a steel stove and you can not sit within six feet of it without passing out. Not a PE stove but everything I read about the T6 convinced me to buy it over the other models.
So far we love it. No super hot fires so still not 100% convinced we can sit by it though.

Not sure what I am going to do with those wings it comes with.

I have the Summit, but as always I am jealous of other people's stoves :) I Love the T6, in my book spend the extra cash, it looks really sharp. Figure in you will have this stove for a while so the difference is going to be peanuts over the life of the stove...Go T6 :)

Highbeam said:
I like the summit and T6 and noticed only a very small price difference between them. Because of this, I would very much recommend the T6 over the summit since the extra mass will serve to extend your burn times. Mass is good on a 24/7 burner.

If you like all the colors then maybe you'll like the summit better.

I think Bokehman's point is that, yes, extra mass banks some energy, but not much. Equivalent of half a pound of wood? That's a fraction of a split. And the burn time associated with that? A few minutes at most.

Thanks for all the advice. The T6 is a bit of an indulgence over the basic Summit, but I think the wife really likes it...

Availability is poor right now. I was told 1-2 months... That could be a problem.

Chris

you cant go wrong with any one of the three.

Buy the Summit, and duct tape some scrap iron to the outside. Problem solved.
Ingenuity is the mother of somebody.

We have used our T6 the past month to heat our 3000 sq ft house, the boiler has yet to be turned on. I can attest to the opinions that you CAN sit really close to the T6 and not get "sunburned", stovetop temps have not been consistently over 600 yet, but I do not think that will change things too much with higher temps.

The only sunburn i've gotten is during the reloading when the stove is still over 300 degrees. I've stayed at places with steel stoves (Not Summits) and could not sit as close to those as with this T6.

Foil wrapped baked potatoes are done in 30 mins inside the stove! One hour and you have well done skins on the 'taters.

Wife factor is the key. And she likes the T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.