packed Roxul...a fire hazard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmania

Nov 12, 2015
catskills, new york
Hey guys,

Just wondering if packed Roxul rockwool could be a fire hazard. I have a ton of old 6 inch thick roxul insulation and have an old exterior wall with a 4 inch cavity (old 2x4 frame, which really is 2 by 4 inches). How bad is it if I just compressed the roxul and squeeze it in there...this is a section of wall which will be behind my wood stove, so if this at all screws with the heat resistance of the wall, I rather of course not take a chance.

Any quick thoughts?

Well if it is wood framed it really doesnt matter what you do it is still a combustible wall.

Reactions: scivi92
The roxul I have which is new, is rated to 2100 degrees so it wouldn't burn, not sure what you're older roxul is rated at. I do know that it's bad practice to compress insulation and that it should instead be cut to size and layers peeled off to reduce it's thickness. If I knew the temperature rating of your Roxul was about as high as mine, I'd peel it down to four inches thick and install it.

Reactions: Berner
Status
Not open for further replies.