Padding around wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo11

Apr 1, 2016
colorado
could anyone recommend some way to put padding around a wood stove? there is not a lot of space around the stove is the main problem. My friends wife has seizures and recently was admitted to the hospital with multiple concussions. I'm just hoping to figure something out to help keep her a little safer. It is their only source of heat, and again, there is little space available around the stove. thanks for any help at all.

Maybe bolt in a child protective gate around the stove and cover the top rail with pool noodles (or foam pipe insulation) split to fit the top rail? Foam could melt so it must be at least 3 ft from stove. Is there enough room?

Is this a new condition or a chronic one?

I don't think they have that much room, I'm pretty sure it would have to be quite close to the stove. I appreciate the response, tha's the type of solution we were thinking of but it would have to be close enough where most, if not all, types of materials would melt or catch fire again I really appreciate the response

Sounds like a bad combo (wood heat in tight space + uncontrolled seizures). Hopefully this is a safe installation but it sounds like she should completely avoid the stove area and not tend the stove at all. A child protective gate (without padding) would offer a bit of protection, but that would depend on how she fell. It might just be another edge to hit.

jimbo, welcome to the forum. High temp silicone is the only material that I can think of off-hand but would not give much cushion.

Status
Not open for further replies.