Paint/Coatings for steel that will withstand direct flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FlyFish'n

Oct 23, 2021
OH
What are everyone's experiences with high-temperature paints/coatings on steel surfaces?

Two for example are RustOleum Grill/Stove Paint and Thurmalox. The latter seems a higher quality coating.

Is there something else that can be sprayed (with a pneumatic sprayer or rattle can) or brushed that will hold up better?

Does anyone know how long a can of Turmalox would last without going bad/drying? I would imagine it, and other coatings, could be thinned with something like mineral spirits, acetone, alcohol, or what ever the manufacturers recommend so maybe some thinner if storing could prolong the shelf life?

Many stoves are painted with Forest Products Stove Brite paint. In repainting, I usually give a stove 3 coats. This is an acetone based paint. Thin coats are better. It dries quickly and can be recoated within 30 minutes. Satin black is a good color for steel stoves.
AW Perkins is another stove paint that seems to be mostly sold on the East Coast. Haven't seen it out here.

Reactions: FlyFish'n
I really only use stove brite or aw Perkins. I prefer Perkins but nothing wrong with stove brite. The Rust-Oleum stuff is junk honestly.

Reactions: FlyFish'n
How about the brush on stove paint? I’m not to excited about using a rattle can in my living room and my stove could use a paint tune up.