used boiler problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Webber

Sep 8, 2014
New Ipswich, NH
As i have stated in a few of my other posts I purchased a Tarm OT-50 used. It is in pretty good condition considering its age. It was manufactured in 1979. I chose this model specifically because it is wood with oil backup and i only have one chimney flue. I want to make sure things are as prefect as they can be before i try to install this so i'm working on cleaning it up as best i can. From talking to the guy i bought it from it has been sitting for about a year. The service tag on it says that it was last serviced in 2013 and the Oil side was 84% efficient. The only problem i have found with it was that the DHW coil won't hold pressure. This is not that big of a deal as i plan on using a superstor. After i discovered the leak in the hot water coil i pulled the coil so i could inspect it do determine what the problem was. It appears like whoever pulled the boiler tried to clean the coil out as best they could but since it is a vertical coil some water settled to the bottom and froze and split the coil in several places. That is my opinion, but it is also possible that the coil just corroded from the inside and go thin and burst. The coil on these boilers is huge, it is something like 18 inches wide and 20 inches long. So, removing it gave me a good look at the inside of the boiler. The inside of the boiler looks clean. it does not appear to be rusty anywhere. All the internal surfaces that i could see still had paint on them.

Now that you have some idea about the boiler, here is my real problem. After pulling the coil and inspecting the inside of the boiler i noticed between the firebox and the top of the water jacket way in the front corner there was some stuff that appears to be put there by mice. I removed as much as i could and now the top of things is pretty clean, but it appears to go over the edge of the front of the firebox. On the front of this boiler there is about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the firebox and the front plate that creates the water jacket. There is a drop of about 3 or 4 inches before you get to the flange that creates the door to the firebox. I have tried mirrors and all sorts of other things to try to get into this area or see in there but i can not.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this sort of thing? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get into this area or how to make sure i have removed everything. I have used a coat hanger to remove everything i could see. It was very difficult because of all the connecting pieces of steel that connect the firebox and the outside of the water jacket.

What are the risks of possibly missing some of this? If it stays lodged where it is, could it cause hot spots in the boiler that could harm the boiler? If it were to come loose i realize that it could clog my heating system. To prevent this, if i can not be sure i have removed all of it, i was considering putting an inline filter in each of my heating loops. I have found cartridge filters that are designed to remove sediment that will withstand the temperatures and won't restrict the flow that i think will work. Does this sound like a good idea? Does anyone else have any solutions to this problem.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wireless-3-5...528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5410866328

I use one very similar to this one. Inspected the inside of the boiler heat exchanger , Granny's chimney, the zincs on the bottom of our sailboat while it was still in the water, and a plugged toilet . Every now and then they can be found on sale for less money than this .But if you really want to know it could be the answer .

i was thinking of that. I think i can buy one for a reasonable amount of money or possibly rent one from some place like Home Depot. But, that leaves the next question. What if it is in such a place that i can't seem to get it all out? Will it harm the boiler? I know it could plug the heating loops and i think i could solve that by using an inline filter so it would get caught if it ever moved. But if it didn't move, would it hurt my boiler?

You could put a Wye strainer on your boiler outlet, maybe? Although I've never seen one there on a boiler, so not sure if there's a reason not to or not. It would catch anything bulky though. This is something like loose bits or wads of insulation or something?

it appears to be pretty loose. it looks to me like a mixture of insulation and wood shavings.

I think the y strainer sounds like a pretty good idea. Its simple and compact and does the job. I wasn't sure if i wanted to put one directly at the boiler output or not. I was thinking more of putting one on each of the heating loops. If i put one directly on the boiler output couldn't it clog the whole system and cause the boiler to overheat? If i put one on each of the heating loops i figured that one might get clogged but at least the other ones would be working to keep the boiler under control. Then i could clean out the clogged one without the worry of blowing the thing up in my face. When installing a y strainer wouldn't i need to put a ball valve on either side of it so i don't drain my system when trying to clean it out?

If i do put those in my system and have to clean them out, how do i go about removing the air from my system after? or does that just take care of itself?

One on each zone might be better - that's likely why I haven't seen one on a boiler outlet. Not sure how small you can get them. Main thought was to put it between the boiler outlet, and the first major component that a wad of dirt could mess up. Then again a wad might get stuck in a small pipe if it's too big/ Yes isolation valves are good - I've got one one each side of my Wye. Plus I screwed one into the drain part of the valve to make it easy to check for dirt - close two valves & open another.

Wonder if you stick a pressure washer in there it might free up whatever's in there, then you could flush the boiler and hopefully the loose stuff would float out the top? Anything that's heavier than water would just settle in the bottom and stay there forever.

I bought an inspection scope for $99 at home depot. Apparently you can't rent them anywhere unless its a big industrial deal that cost $200 to rent. I'm going to try to stuff a vacuum hose in there and use the scope and see what i can get. If i get it all i'm not going to worry about it. I'll put those strainers in place anyway just to play it safe, and catch any leftover loose bits i might have missed. I'm going to try to flush out whatever is in the boiler if the vacuum doesn't work, but i have to be careful as the boiler is in my basement and i don't have an easy way to get rid of the water except for a 5 gallon bucket. Considering the boiler holds 90 gallons of water, that is a lot of work. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with this as winter is coming pretty quickly and i still don't have the boiler hooked up. I can' spend some time on it to make sure its good enough, but i can't waste all my time trying to be a pefectionist if there is a fix that will work. It seems like the strainers will work so i'll do what i can and hope i get most of it.

On a side note, how would i know when to check the strainers? It seems to me like the only way i would have of knowing that the line was clogged would be if i suddenly wasn't getting very much heat out of my baseboards. There has got to be a better way. Or should i just check them once a week no matter what until i get a feel for things?

Status
Not open for further replies.