paint flaking off Shelburne.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
My stove is only installed and burning since Dec1. That's only 2.5 months. It's been pretty much a 24/7. Except when we had CRAPPY wood. But I have noticed that the paint is flaking off, and in more then one spot. I have emailed Heartstone, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know of a contact there. The dealer says "oh, well, I'll just spray paint for you." But I'm like "uh no, this puppy is new and it should not be flaking paint." It's a flat black matte finish. Has anyone experience this before? It's happening on the top edges and sides and door.

You're correct. That should not be happening. Was this a refurb unit from the dealer that already had a repaint?

The warranty that came with my Shelburne makes no mention of paint. It warranties the enamel finish (on those so equipped), but says nothing about paint. I've only seen the enamel Shelburnes, so someone with a non-enamel model will need to comment on their paint.

BG
You’re correct. That should not be happening. Was this a refurb unit from the dealer that already had a repaint?

The dealer says that it has never been used!
I hope to be calling Heartstone today.

Paint can flake if the conditions were wrong during the painting process. As a Hearthstone dealer, I would offer the customer to use the stove for the season and then I would come pick up the stove, strip it down at our shop and repaint it. I would also offer you either a discount on the stove (maybe $100) or a gift certificate. There is no paint warranty listed, as you already found. The best and worst of stove manufacturers can have a bad "paint day".

I have the flat black Shelburne and have not had issues with paint.
It's not my main heater so I don't run it 24/7 - but I have for short periods in the past.
I've run it up to 650 stove top regularly.
Hearthstone is going to ask you about temps - where do you run it?

vixster said:
My stove is only installed and burning since Dec1. That's only 2.5 months. It's been pretty much a 24/7. Except when we had CRAPPY wood. But I have noticed that the paint is flaking off, and in more then one spot. I have emailed Heartstone, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know of a contact there. The dealer says "oh, well, I'll just spray paint for you." But I'm like "uh no, this puppy is new and it should not be flaking paint." It's a flat black matte finish. Has anyone experience this before? It's happening on the top edges and sides and door.

how hot are you getting the stove?

it shouldn't flake off at normal temps

as for the dealer, what should he do besides re-paint????
pretty simple fix, paint prep the effected areas, and re-paint

We've had this happen with all brands where the break-in procedure wasn't followed. The first three fires need to be low-medium heat, to cure the paint, and the stove should be allowed to cool to room temperature between these fires. If the paint is thermal shocked before the paint cures, we've seen it come off in patches as described here. The fix is to burn the stove for a few weeks until all all the thermal-shocked patches let go, then steel wool the bare spots, wipe down with denatured alcohol, let dry and repaint. After the touchup has been applied, three low-medium heat fires will be needed to cure the new paint.

I would use a soft brass bristled brush on a drill and strip the whole stove down to the shiny hiney stuff, wipe it down with WD-40 KIDDING. Wipe it down with alcohol and give it a nice new even finish.

had a simular issue with a Dutchwest. The whole stove shed it's paint, Vermont blamed incorrect cleaning of the castings before painting. So we let the customer use the stove for the winter and then repainted in the spring and there was no issues after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.