Paint from my Mingo marker bad for my cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3fordasho

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 20, 2007
South Central Minnesota
I've been warned to remove the paint from the wedge on my SuperSplit for fear that the paint will contaminate the cats in my woodstock stoves... Now I'm not too concerned about that but what about the marking paint used in the mingo firewood marker?

Don't sneeze around the wood either. I heard snot clogs the cat.

surveyor paint is pretty much gone in 6 months. If you're seasoning the wood long enough ............

The acetone and propellants are probably gone within minutes seconds after being sprayed.

It is evil and will destroy the cats and the soapstone. The Mingo should be sent postage pre-paid to BrotherBart care of general delivery Manassas, Virginia for environmentally proper disposal. :)

It is evil and will destroy the cats and the soapstone. The Mingo should be sent postage pre-paid to BrotherBart care of general delivery Manassas, Virginia for environmentally proper disposal. :)

Haha, I'll be sure and get it packed up for ya. Seriously though, I mentioned in another thread about getting a SuperSplit and received a PM about contacting SS and having them not paint the wedge because of this issue. Now I know that little bit of paint coming off isn't going to hurt anything. But the mingo... sometimes that nozzle sticks and the round gets a good shot of paint....

I'm no chemistry expert but I try to avoid putting anything through the cat except wood, and will even give away wood that has streaks of bacterial/fungal growth in it. I'm probably over-reacting but that's just how I am. I'm sure that any masking caused by fungus could be removed by boiling the cat in the recommended vinegar/water solution, but I think chemicals might poison the cat and be irreversible. I just use a hatchet to mark length.
I would like to get some definitive answers on this issue but haven't as yet. It might take some in-depth research or contacting an expert at one of the cat manufacturers...

Don't fart while reloading, those fumes may also contaminate the cat. Sheesh. A paint dot, seriously?

Don't fart while reloading, those fumes may also contaminate the cat.
I fart all the time while reloading and never worry about it...the bypass is open. ==c

One can certainly tell Spring is here. Not much to talk about so these things pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.