Paint peeling stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mralias

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 29, 2008
MA
Could someone suggest or explain to me why the paint on the inside of my Quad cb1200i peels on the first light of the stove. The burn pot and baffle plates peel every time. I use high temp stove paint and it does not seem to matter. It is almost like the paint is not adhering to the metal. Also, suggestions on when to replace the thermocoupler cover. Mine is in it's third year and it has some surface wear on it. I painted it, but that did not last in the first 5 mins of the start up burn. Any help would be much appreciated.

My guess would be the paint is designed to get hot just fine but can't withstand direct fire / the violent nature of what's happening in there

pen

smooth, clean and no rust. What type of prep?

As you stated, smooth, clean, free of rust & debris...What kind of stove?? Was this Rustolem High heat, or Stove paint? One is 1200 deg one is 2000 deg
Maybe you can obtain Fact paint from manufacture??
I know Englander offers this on line.

If you are using Rustoleum products this comes from their website's FAQ page ~1/2 way down http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGResourceCenter.asp?sn=fa2

Q - Can I use high heat paint on the inside of the grill?
A - No — just on the outside of the grill. The product does not have flame resistance and is not USDA accepted for surfaces that may come in contact with food.

I realize you don't have a grill and probably don't cook in this stove, but I think the problem is related.

pen

The paint is Stove Bright High Temp Paint. Although it says 1200 degree limit on the back. Nothing on it says rustoleum. The stove is a Quad classic bay insert. Don't get me wrong, this is not a major issue. I posted only because this board is full of helpful info. Does the flame really get hotter then 1200 degrees??? WOW that's hot. I guess I should go find some 2000 degree paint and try that.

Oh...one last thing...Had I followed the cardinal rule of this form and did a search on stove paint I would have come up with my answer. I'm so ashamed.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78566/

automotive engine header primer should do the trick.

surface prep is part of the formula to success but also you have to read the proper procedure for the initial firing schedule to cure the paint. It takes more than just time to cure it. This is especially true of the header paint.
And DON'T paint the ceramic thermocouple cover! No need to do anything as long as it's not broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.