Paint SS class A chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2007
Just wondering if ss class A chimney pipe can be painted black and if a primer is needed before painting the pipe black. Also has anyone painted brass trim black?

This might just be me but I would use a self etching primer first. Then paint should stay on. The primer can be had at most auto parts stores in spray cans.
Don

I believe Thermolux (sp?) makes a paint specifically for use on stainless steel Class A chimney.

I have no Idea what the temps on the outsides of the Class A gets to, but in my experience, most primers fail at a fairly low temps.

Backpack09 said:
BrotherBart said:
VHT brand primer for boilers, engine headers etc. is good to 1,500 degrees. By 1,200 degrees I would be across the street watching the show with the red trucks, flashing lights and long water hoses.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_749303_-1_10747

VHT and most other header paints need to be cured... I dont think I have a big enough oven to fit class A in ;)

Light that oven connected to the pipe and it'll cure it.

BrotherBart said:
Backpack09 said:
BrotherBart said:
VHT brand primer for boilers, engine headers etc. is good to 1,500 degrees. By 1,200 degrees I would be across the street watching the show with the red trucks, flashing lights and long water hoses.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_749303_-1_10747

VHT and most other header paints need to be cured... I dont think I have a big enough oven to fit class A in ;)

Light that oven connected to the pipe and it'll cure it.

ORLY
--------
15 minutes at 250°F
30 minutes at 600°F
1 hour at 800°F
30 minutes at 1,000°F
--------

RLY

Again I may be talking right outa my butt. but is the outside of a class A pipe going to reach 1000's ever?

Backpack09 said:
Again I may be talking right outa my butt. but is the outside of a class A pipe going to reach 1000's ever?

From the ad.

"On non-traffic surfaces and where solvent resistance is not required, VHT FlameProof coatings may be used as air-dried. Curing may be accomplished by the inherent heat of operation such as encountered in engine manifolds and exhausts, boilers, heaters, etc. or by following the curing instructions below. ALL CURING SHOULD BE DONE SLOWLY."

Now... In my experience. If you do not cure VHT it ends up on your hands if you air dry it. And it ends up flaking off whatever you have put it on.

Backpack09 said:
Now... In my experience. If you do not cure VHT it ends up on your hands if you air dry it. And it ends up flaking off whatever you have put it on.

I give up. I yield. I don't care if VHT ever sells another can of paint. The question was is there a primer that will take temp.

I now vote for Sherwin-William Latex house paint!

Status
Not open for further replies.