paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpz

Sep 14, 2006
Syracuse, New York
After ignoring my NC30 since March, I noticed that the top has some surface rust as well as the door. I had bought some Rustoleum high heat paint for my grill and painted that, but not too sure if it's the right paint for the stove. What's the best wood stove paint and what's the best way to prep the stove?

grill paint likely will not hold, i doubt it has the temp rating that stove paint has , the paint we use is rated to 1200 F, would be better to use it or a generic equivalent from a hearth store. to do the job , prep the surface with mild steel wool to remove the surface rust wipe clean with a clean cloth , apply the stove paint in thin coats until finish is restored. note also that you will probabaly have a slight odd smell when the stove is next fired as this paint cooks out, similar but not nearly as intense as the first fire in the unit when it was new.

I have painted several stoves using the Rustoleum High Heat paint rated to 1000 degrees. I had great luck using the brush on kind in a can and had terrible luck using the spray version. The spray version didn't even last a month of light burning in the fall. The brushable version went through a season on my fisher stove and looks like new. I just steel wooled like stoveguy recommended and went to town. The Fisher that was painted with that was run hard at times (to the point of seeing a faint glow in spots in the dark) and the paint was never effected.

10953040.jpg

Also, if the rust is very light, I've had good luck with using the Rutland Stove Polish seen here.

31Ci9qxhvJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If the polish does it for you it will save a lot of mess from the paint and while there are some fumes that come off the stove the next time you fire using the polish, it's nothing like what you get after repainting.

Also, if you do decide to repaint, do 1 good, thin, even, coat. Now that I think back on it the other miserable part of that spray on paint was the overspray. I've never had such a mess using any other spray paint. Just plain was a bad experience for me.

pen

Stove Bright paint is also good. Though you really want to be sure that the painting is done with a good mask and in a very well ventilated area.

I polished my stove yesterday . . . but wasn't very pleased with the end result. I may end up painting it . . . although my wife says the stove looks fine the way it is.

BeGreen said:
Stove Bright paint is also good. Though you really want to be sure that the painting is done with a good mask and in a very well ventilated area.
I've used SB paint as well in the past with excellent results. I will add that you'll want to burn it for the first time outside if possible, or indoors with a lot of ventilation as there's some stink and a little during that first good burn or two.

I have used both the Rustoleum in a spray can and the brushable, the brushable wins hands down, it leaves a shiny looking stove whereas the spray can leaves a dull look. I have used the Rustoleum paintable version on several stoves with great results, and I am about to paint more with it this weekend.

I always find it good to run steel wool or something just to create a hold for the paint, then I wash the stove down with Tri-Sodium Phosphate just to clean everything off, then clean that off and let it dry then I paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.