1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Painting burn pot/ impingment baffle

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by biohill, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biohill

biohill Member

Loc:
    Central Ma
    I just cleaned off all the rust from my burnpot/wearplate and baffle. Can I use rustoluem high heat to coat them? Thanks for any help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    I`d use flat wall paint myself.
    John
  3. biohill

biohill Member

Loc:
    Central Ma
    seriously, can the rustoleum high heat handle being exposed to a direct flame?
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The paint is just going to burn. Somewhere around its advertised limit which is around 1200 degrees. Better to just coat the pieces with a light coating of vegetable oil or spray some PAM on them which is the same thing.
  5. MrMike115

MrMike115 New Member

The paint won't last once you burn, but will keep rust away until then. Put a bag of "DAMP GONE" by Rutland in the unit till you start using the stove.
    Rustoleum paint is too oily, use Stovebright hi temp instead.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If you use Stove Bright use that acetone based, brain damaging stuff outdoors!
  7. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I have re-painted pellet units with Stove Bright. It holds up just fine. The parts usually turn white/grey from all the ash but I have not seen the paint peel off.
  8. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    you could use stove paint to attenuate the rust for the off season , if surface rust try this as well; open a box of baking soda and set it in the burn pot , during the off season , this will act as a dessicant and absorb moisture that may become trapped in the unit , a dry unit is less likely to rust during non use than one which has trapped humidity in it. hope this helps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.