Painting burn pot/ impingment baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biohill

Nov 14, 2007
Central Ma
I just cleaned off all the rust from my burnpot/wearplate and baffle. Can I use rustoluem high heat to coat them? Thanks for any help!

I`d use flat wall paint myself.
John

The paint is just going to burn. Somewhere around its advertised limit which is around 1200 degrees. Better to just coat the pieces with a light coating of vegetable oil or spray some PAM on them which is the same thing.

The paint won't last once you burn, but will keep rust away until then. Put a bag of "DAMP GONE" by Rutland in the unit till you start using the stove.
Rustoleum paint is too oily, use Stovebright hi temp instead.

If you use Stove Bright use that acetone based, brain damaging stuff outdoors!

I have re-painted pellet units with Stove Bright. It holds up just fine. The parts usually turn white/grey from all the ash but I have not seen the paint peel off.

biohill said:
I just cleaned off all the rust from my burnpot/wearplate and baffle. Can I use rustoluem high heat to coat them? Thanks for any help!

you could use stove paint to attenuate the rust for the off season , if surface rust try this as well; open a box of baking soda and set it in the burn pot , during the off season , this will act as a dessicant and absorb moisture that may become trapped in the unit , a dry unit is less likely to rust during non use than one which has trapped humidity in it. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.